Bean Night . . . please post YOUR recipes

Quote:
I'm sure there is a vegetarian recipe if that is what you are aiming for. It is added for flavor and to make it more of a meal, IMO.

Wow! Thanks for the recipes. I've been trying to have 3 "meatless" meals each week just to be a bit healthier and have been trying to cook more beans. However, it's easy to get stuck in a rut and cook the same 3 recipes over and over again. Thanks for helping me spice it up a bit!!

Quote:
the cool thing about red beans and rice . . . and beans in general is you can substitute just about anything and it's still a good ol' pot of beans! Do you not eat meat, or just not pork?
For meatless I would take a can of tomato paste and brown it - gives a great meaty taste. and then add a drop or two of liquid smoke to the pot (only a drop or two), or instead if you can take the heat, a chipoltle and a few teaspoons of adobo sauce like ranch hand suggested will do the trick.
IF it's just pork that is a problem I would just double up on the smaked turkey or use all beef smoked sausage. Enjoy!

Henry'schickens :

I'm making the frijole soup today along with Ozark Hen's pork (chops) baked with jalapeno jelly smothered over it. I'm going to shread the pork and have cheeses and stuff available for the kids to make wraps with it to go with the soup. Sorta Mexicanny style.
First time for both so I hope it turns out delish!

I used to make extra stuff to go along with it but then I noticed the kids were just eating the soup! If you have access to Cotija cheese, that's what I sprinkle on top.​

Hen_House_Rocks! :

Wow! Thanks for the recipes. I've been trying to have 3 "meatless" meals each week just to be a bit healthier and have been trying to cook more beans. However, it's easy to get stuck in a rut and cook the same 3 recipes over and over again. Thanks for helping me spice it up a bit!!

thanks! that's a big part of why I schedule this way, we have beans on Monday, Pasta on Thursday and salad on Sat. I do often use meat for flavor but not as the main ingredient.​

Oh my Gosh, we're kindred spirits!I plan out in advance much like you do. I think that with kids, really, it's the only way for me to keep my sanity. I can't wait to try your recipes too. (I don't think you are nuts at all!) Thank you so much for the recipes. I am about to sit down and figure out next year's rotation. I am going to change a few things and in doing that I believe I will add in a few of these bean dishes.

What a great idea! I totally missed this post - then found it referenced in another post and came for a read.

I have some favorite recipes on our site using limas, cannellini (white kidney) beans, black beans, making homemade refried beans. I'll make the time to post them here if some wants them.

Quote:
Janes Crazy Mixed up salt - it's a seasoning salt that I am partial to when cooking. You can find it in different grocery stores in the salt section. LOL there are a lot of indian groceries in Seattle!

DH & I sell regional, fancy, organic, etc foods online and by phone orders. The Jane's Krazy Salt and Krazy Mixedup Pepper products are very popular. If you can't find them but want them, let me know. I'll give you a link to shop them online.

what a great offer! janes is really one of my secret ingredients and it is hard to find. I don't like the pepper so much and the salt is not goodon something your not going to cook (like a hard boiled egg or slice of tomatoe) but it really does add a new depth of flavor to things you are cooking.

Quote:
I would totally do that, I use stock when ever I have it (beef or chicken)

That soup would be awesome topped with sour cream and melted cheese.
droolin.gif

I use the Jane's salt with baked potatoes. It is yummy!

Back
Top Bottom