Bean Night . . . please post YOUR recipes

Oh I forgot to ask... After the bean recipies are done can you post your favorite pasta meals? I would love to see what ideas you have for pasta. We have been in such a dinner rut. And because we are getting board of the same old thing, we end up eatting very unhealthy. I am so glad you posted your bean recipies. It has woken up my taste buds again and encouraged me to have fun in the kitchen again. Thank you for giving me a reason to run to the computer to get on BYC.~ Tacey
love.gif

Last edited:
thank you for the compliments! I'm glad you have liked everything so far, sometimes simplest recipes are the best. And don't you just love knowing for sure that you are going to feed your family a meal based on beans once a week?
I will post pasta recipes as soon as we are done with beans . . . I just really can't take the time to type a whole cookbook on here at once! LOL! Follow the meal planning thread and I'll let you know on there what's next . . . will have more out this week for sure.

Katy-
I love your recipes and your budget thread too.

I do most of my shopping a month or two ahead as I live 67 miles from the nearest Walmart or Carrs/Safeway.
so I do look for things I can plan in advance/buy in bulk. I always carry a list (items needed or low on).

I go through weekly sale ads for little things, and have a friend that shops about once a week. So I don't miss the store only being a few blocks away.

Just wanted to say Thank you for your time and thought.......You are saving alot of people time & money.

thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif

hugs.gif

Wow you guys are makin' me feel great!

Ever want to make Baked or BBQ beans from scratch and go looking for a recipe? They all seem to start with canned baked beans! those are ok cold from the can when you are camping . . . or with hot dogs if you are 5 . . . this takes it to the next level and CHEAP! your kids are gonna love this one even more than the chili!

WEEK 9

Katy’s from scratch BBQ BEANS

1. 1 lb Bacon copped and browned
2. 1 yellow onion, chopped and sautéed in bacon drippings
3. 4 cloves garlic, minced
4. 3/4 C. ketchup
5. 1/2 C. molasses
6. 1/4 C. packed brown sugar
7. 2 T Worcestershire sauce
8. 1 T yellow mustard
9. 1/2 t pepper
10. 1 t ground red pepper
11. 1 t Crazy Janes or regular salt
12. 2C water

2 (16 ounce) cans Pinto beans - drained
2 (16 ounce) can great Northern beans - drained
1(16 ounce) can red kidney beans - drained

edited to add - if you are putting this in the crock pot use 3 cups of water.

Brown bacon in big pot over medium heat – DON’T DRAIN, add onion to pot and sauté when almost done stir in garlic. Then stir in the rest of ingredients one at a time, keeping it hot.
Then add beans and simmer all day. Serve with soft white bread for dunking.

Last edited:
as often as possible i try to use fresh beans for any recipe. they are easy to make and freeze well. i don't even soak mine and they turn out as tender as anything i have ever had...

sort out dry beans
put beans in pot
cover with water to about 4" above bean level
bring to a rolling boil
turn down to simmer and simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs

OR:

put beans in crock pot with water
turn crock pot to the auto setting
go to sleep/work/family vacation (ok, vacation may be a little long) for about 8 hours

season to taste
enjoy

you can add meat, herbs, garlic, onions, bay leaves, and spices of your choice while the beans are cooking but DO NOT ADD SALT until the beans are done. salt tends to toughen the beans.

use these beans for any recipe that calls for canned beans OR just enjoy them as is

Back
Top Bottom