Bean Night . . . please post YOUR recipes

Katie,
I use the same ingredients to make a similar dish. Insteading of adding broth I saute everything as you do add the beans to the saute pan along with the spinach and then when its heated thru I add the whole shebang to a dish full of couscous. Toss then drizzle with a bit of olive oil and a squirt of fresh lemon juice. Makes a great quick one dish meal hot in the winter or room temp in the summer. I sometimes add fresh chopped tomato in the summer to add color.Thanks for all the great recipes keep them coming!

Quote:
what a great idea I'm going to try that! I am assuming you don't puree the beans then?
be sure to try this with them pureed it changes the whole taste texture thing.

I am looking forward to making your recipe this weekend. I dont puree the beans just for my dish and I add a lot of garlic since its favorite around here.

This one is plain and simple and before I got organized I made it entirely to much, but now htat we have it just a few times a year we really look forward to it.

WEEK 11

Mom's Basic Bean Burritos

Refried beans
flour tortillas
shredded cheese
fresh lettuce - chopped
fresh tomatos - chopped
fresh green onions - chopped
salsa - I use Ortega mild and Tabasco
Sour cream

What I do is put each ingredient in a seperate bowl and let everyone "make their own" this was really fun for the kids when they were small. The trick is to say NOTHING when you see what they put in it.
Just heat the beans in a pot - If you must have meat add some cooked ground beef, or leftover chicken, or whatever you have, to the beans.

Tortillas are best when charred on a fry pan or burner; but I must admit that now that the kids are older and eat SO much, I just throw the pack in the microwave and steam them. Three minutes and done instead of mom standing in front of the stove all through dinner.
You can really gourmet this up with cool salsas; but here is where I am with that - we eat A LOT of salsa anyway, and I think it masks the taste of the fresh onions and tomatos, AND I love the taste of sour cream and tabasco together
smile.png
Therfore the combination of Ortega mild and tabasco at everyones on mixture level is perfect!
We always put all of the ingredients on the coffee table and eat these while sitting on the floor around it and watching a movie - when the kids were small they wore sombreros I got at the party favor store.

Last edited:
So with the holidays are nights are a little screwy, we had Mussels and linguine last night . . . boy did the chickens like those leftovers! But no one wanted to miss a bean meal this week so we had them tonight:rolleyes:

I like this recipe because it's so different than just a pot of beans; it is a little more work - definately not a crock pot recipe. But truly only about 30 minutes to prepare a gourmet restaurant quality meal . . . and yet it is still simple, rustic and earthy. YOU'RE GONNA' LOVE IT
big_smile.png

I used to make it with Fava beans (thus the name) but now that I live in Idaho . . . well they just don't sell them around here:/
I substiture and use butter beans but you could use lima beans as well. As for the meat - bean recipes are forgiving family meals; feel free to substitute! Tonight I used rib eye steak because the holidays were making $ a little tight, you could easily go even cheaper infact if I were making it for a very young family I would use ground beef.

Also a tip for cooking with onion with young kids. A lot of kids don't like the texture of onions, butmost adults miss the flavor if they are left out. My solution to this when my kids were small was to grate the onion on the cheese grater - man does that make your eyes water! But it solves the problem perfectly!

WEEK 12 . . . we're almost done here!

Fava Fricassée

5 pounds fresh fava beans, shelled, or 5 cups frozen double-peeled fava beans (from two 16-ounce packages), thawed OR 4 CANS, RINSED
2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2-pound piece of beef tenderloin, cut in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
2 large onions, finely chopped
1 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
4 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint

Cook fresh fava beans in large pot of boiling salted water 2 minutes. Drain favas. Place in large bowl of ice water. Drain. Slip outer skin off each bean and discard skin; place beans in large bowl. (If using frozen beans, do not blanch.) If using canned beans just rinse.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Working in batches, add beef and sauté just until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes. Transfer beef to medium bowl.
Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon oil in same skillet over medium heat. Add onions; sauté until tender and golden, about 15 minutes. Add fava beans; sauté 5 minutes. Remove from heat; cool 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk whipping cream, lemon juice, egg yolks, salt, and pepper in small bowl to blend. Stir cream mixture into fava bean mixture. Cook over medium-low heat just until sauce thickens slightly and mixture is heated through, about 6 minutes (do not boil). Add beef and stir until heated through, about 3 minutes.
Serve in big bowls with a sprinkle of mint on top

I don't remember hearing of fava beans. May look around here and see what I can find. The recipe sounds delish. Next week I'm going to make one of your bean soup for a lady friend that I care for. She mentioned that her Mom used to make a lima bean goulash type of meal and the one you posted earlier sounds like the ticket I need.

Thanks again for taking the time to guide us along. I really enjoy your threads. Between you, MP, OH, GG and may others,,,,I will never lose the extra pounds.
big_smile.png

It is not the one I thought (BBQ beans) It doesn't have lima beans in it. I need to pick her brains and see if she can remember what kind of stuff was in it and then I may come here and pick your brains, Katy.
big_smile.png
I wont see her till Monday though. I know I could substitute beans for other beans.

Well you said what I was going to say - just substitute different beans.
The BBQ bean recipe thought is really sweet probably not the closest to goulash. I would suggest using the Fava recipe but substituting limas. Add a can of crushed tomatoes to the bean mixture and 1 small can of tomato paste to the egg mixture, and substitute 2 teaspoons of paparika for the black pepper and I think you are there!

Here's your last Bean Night recipe
big_smile.png

That gives you thirteen, so if you liked them and you put yourself on a schedule to make beans once a week, you would make the same recipe 4 times a year - which is acceptable and desireable to my family.
This year I eliminated two recipes to make room for new favorites - you should feel free to do the same. We also tried two other new ones (on bean night) and chose not to add them to the line up but it's fun to experiment.
This is a slightly different recipe that stems from the local Basque population here in Idaho. It's not a crock pot recipe and I can tell you from experience that trying to dump everything in the good 'ol CP doesn't work the taste and especially the texture are altered greatly. But if someone helps you cook it's just a 30 minute meal anyway. this makes a BIG pot and is easily cut in half. Let me know if you have any questions!

Smoky Basque Beans

4 cups chicken broth
2 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup of white rice
1 cup of drained Piquillo peppers, or two roasted red peppers
2/3 cup of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped (2 handfuls)
2 teaspoons paprika
2 lbs of BASQUE chorizo – sliced diagonally
2 Serrano chilies, seeded and chopped (less if you can't handle heat)
2 teaspoons adobo sauce (less if you can't handle heat)
1 med onion chopped
4 cloves of garlic chopped
1 can of diced fire roasted tomatoes (15oz) drained
2 cans of black beans (15oz) rinsed
Salt and pepper to taste.

In a large pot, bring chicken broth and 1 tablespoon olive oil to a boil. Add the rice cover, lower the heat and simmer for 15min.
Using a food processer, puree the piquillo peppers, stir the puree in to the rice along with the parsley and paprika. Cover and turn off the heat and let stand for 5 min.
Meanwhile in a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chorizo and cook until crisp, turning about two min on each side transfer into the pot with rice mixture, then add tomatoes and the beans to the rice.
Put Chilies onions and garlic to same skillet you had chorizo in, cook until tender, about 5min. Then add to the large pot with everything else set on warm and stir a little to mix all the flavors then salt & pepper to taste.

Back
Top Bottom