Bear Attacked my coop - chickens comb is half ripped off! Please help!

eje99

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
So I went to let my chickens out this morning, from what we thought was a pretty secure coop. It was then that we discovered there had been an attack. A bear (based on the footprints left behind) had torn open the door, actually ripping the wood apart!
We lost one chicken and one other has been injured. I guess it could have been much worse, but I'm worried about our little Lucy.
I've attached pictures to help depict her injuries, but basically her comb is ripped 1/2 off and just hanging on. She appears to be ok otherwise, and is eating and drinking, but she keeps trying to "shake off" the hanging part of her comb.

Any advice on how to handle this would be appreciated!

WOW thats crazy! Lucky hen really! In this case i would look up dubbing and cut it or part of it off or maybe just leave it be... chickens are pretty tough and she'll be fine. but WOW she survived a bear attack! thats crazy... what did the bear actually take? the feed?

good luck!

Al

Last edited:
OK, this just keeps getting worse. While bathing the chickens to wash off the blood and check for injuries, I discovered my Barred Rock has a broken beak. She is having trouble picking up food, and I haven't seen her drinking yet. As always, helpful advice is greatly appreciated!

WOW thats crazy! Lucky hen really! In this case i would look up dubbing and cut it or part of it off or maybe just leave it be... chickens are pretty tough and she'll be fine. but WOW she survived a bear attack! thats crazy... what did the bear actually take? the feed?

good luck!

Al
Hi Al -
Yeah, overall I think we were all pretty lucky. My guess is it was a mama bear looking for food for her cubs. She did take one of my chickens with her, as I can't find any remains other than feathers. My bigger concern now is how to secure the coop. The bear actually ripped the wood apart to get it!

I don't live in bear country but I saw Marty on Mountain Men on tv ya lol... he took boards and drove large spikes through them then nailed them over the windows and doors spikes facing out to secure his cabin while he was gone. maybe you could do something like this?

sorry for your loss!

Al

Oh my gosh! I've always wondered what would happen if a bear came upon a chicken coop. I'm so sorry for your chicken injuries. Hope everything turns out okay. I'll be most curious to learn if you do anything about the broken beak. Good luck!!!

Can you setup some motion activated lights near your coop? It might help deter the bear from trying again. You might need to contact your local wildlife officials to report a nuisance bear. If the bears are willing to rip open doors to get to what they want, not much will stop them. You don't want next time to be your house.

I don't live in bear country but I saw Marty on Mountain Men on tv ya lol... he took boards and drove large spikes through them then nailed them over the windows and doors spikes facing out to secure his cabin while he was gone. maybe you could do something like this?

sorry for your loss!

Al

This would probably work as long as you don't have young kids

I am no expert... however, I had a cat slice her paw and did this and my father used this once when he cut himself really good with a chain saw....

Also not sure if you can hold the chicken still enough will probably be a 2 person job or 3.... But super glue was used for injuries back in Vietnam. in any case my dad glued a 1/2 inch x 3 inch cut on his knee together and I used it on my cat to glue her paw together. both cases it worked great.... now i don'f know if it will allow for blood flow to the comb after or what.... but it might fix it....

Thats crazy, I have bear around me and i don't think there is anything you can really do if they want in.

Sorry for your loss and hope the two birds heal up good.

The broken beak will resolve itself. Like a dog's nail clipped to the quick, it will be tender for a bit, but it will grow and harden out. Give her wet mash if you can, and plenty of water.

The comb is a 50% shot of saving, superglue is a good idea, but as it is a large comb it may also need to be supported or wrapped and I can't think of a way to do it. Fastest way to heal would probably be dubbing, it would require cauterizing, so that would be a last resort.

Birds have amazing healing powers.

Back
Top Bottom