Bear problem

Pics

wildwestcoast

Songster
8 Years
Mar 7, 2015
Vancouver Island, Canada
okay so last night a black bear pushed down the back fence, tried to get into coop#1 and failed (or gave up) ripped chain link fence aside, tore through the wire mesh on the attached run of coop#2 and went after my red stars. I found them this morning 2 in my backyard yard 2 in my front yard and one in the neighbours yard. so thankfully only one chicken got eaten. they are shook up but seemingly unharmed. I patched up the fence enough to keep them in one portion of the yard until I get home from work. I am worried the bear will be back now that it knows there are more birds there. I have had alot of bears roaming around for years due to where we live but never had one go after the birds before. This year has been pretty lean and the bears are hungry. So any ideas? Inexpensive ideas preferably. I am in city limits so I can't shoot the bear. Also I am not allowed an electric fence.

Wow, I totally feel your pain. 2 years ago we had three bears tear through our wire run, then break down the front door of the coop and take our chickens. We lost all but 2 hens. It was heartbreaking. This year we have had bears come (we find piles of their scat just outside the fenced in free range area) but no causalities. It seems if you are in the city limits there should be a government wildlife department you can call and let them know about the bear. It's not safe for people either! I would suggest that you add motion sensor lighting. They don't like to be suddenly illuminated. Be sure your coop door is VERY secure. We completely rebuilt our coop and have a steel door with an extra long deadbolt now. Nothing you can do about the wire run, they can tear through that like a hot knife through butter, but if you can get your chickens to go into the coop at night and lock them in, they should be safe. A good dog is another deterrent! We encourage our Husky to sleep in the front yard and he has chased away plenty of predators for us! Good Luck! :hugs

Too bad you're not allowed to have electric wire around your fence and coops. When a predator comes in contact with it they usually don't try again. I know there are bears here but I have never seen one. I did see a fairly large furry critter laying on the side of the road when I went to town the other day. My first thought maybe it was a bear that got hit by a vehicle or a big black furry dog. Couldn't tell for sure and I didn't stop to look.

Is the ban truly on any type of electric deterrent? Or just a full-on electrified fence. If you would run a single wire around your coop and run, that might do it, especially if hang hang some bacon or ham, to ensure the bear actually bites at the wire the first time it encounters it.

Wow, I totally feel your pain. 2 years ago we had three bears tear through our wire run, then break down the front door of the coop and take our chickens. We lost all but 2 hens. It was heartbreaking. This year we have had bears come (we find piles of their scat just outside the fenced in free range area) but no causalities. It seems if you are in the city limits there should be a government wildlife department you can call and let them know about the bear. It's not safe for people either! I would suggest that you add motion sensor lighting. They don't like to be suddenly illuminated. Be sure your coop door is VERY secure. We completely rebuilt our coop and have a steel door with an extra long deadbolt now. Nothing you can do about the wire run, they can tear through that like a hot knife through butter, but if you can get your chickens to go into the coop at night and lock them in, they should be safe. A good dog is another deterrent! We encourage our Husky to sleep in the front yard and he has chased away plenty of predators for us! Good Luck! :hugs
good idea re the lighting. Also yes I will lock them in the coop. I have (had haha) a small secure run attached to the coop inside a large unsecured run.. it's rat proof..mink proof.and raccoon proof. I really didn't think the bears would go for my chickens after all these years. I do have a door on the coop I can close and I will be using it tonight. fingers crossed/

Is the ban truly on any type of electric deterrent? Or just a full-on electrified fence. If you would run a single wire around your coop and run, that might do it, especially if hang hang some bacon or ham, to ensure the bear actually bites at the wire the first time it encounters it.
that's a good question, I'm not sure the answer. I will have to look into it. I just know we aren't allowed electric fencing in city limits

Too bad you're not allowed to have electric wire around your fence and coops. When a predator comes in contact with it they usually don't try again. I know there are bears here but I have never seen one. I did see a fairly large furry critter laying on the side o
I think wildlife control is the best idea. But without electric fencing your can try plywood with nails through it placed on the ground with a "carpet" of nails facing up so the bear would need to walk across the nails to get to the coop. - but I'd check with local wildlife control for suggestions first.
basically I can remove any attractants (like the feeders) and if it is still hanging around to call them back. we have alot of bears around here and they won't bring out a trap or anything unless it is hanging around for a while and showing no fear of humans or aggression. This year the salmon run was pretty small and the bears are hungry. plus the weather is mild so no hibernating yet. The thought is that if we remove the attractants it may move on.

basically I can remove any attractants (like the feeders) and if it is still hanging around to call them back. we have alot of bears around here and they won't bring out a trap or anything unless it is hanging around for a while and showing no fear of humans or aggression. This year the salmon run was pretty small and the bears are hungry. plus the weather is mild so no hibernating yet. The thought is that if we remove the attractants it may move on.

Before hibernating bear are trying to pack on fat by eating as many calories as possible while expanding as few as possible.
Typically they are after the food, as it’s the easiest calories. So taking away any easy meal may help. But bear are very smart and will return once they’ve found an easy food source.
I’m new to chickens but have been beekeeping for a while and October is always a challenge for me. But I can use electric fencing, which I bait with bacon.
I’d still check with wildlife management. Even if they won’t actively help, they may have ideas. As someone else mentioned- a hot wire on the coop and run may be allowed even if a true electric fence isn’t.
In addition the the electric fence, I also use lights and a motion sensor that screams “intruder alert, intruder alert “ on my coop and run.
Good luck

Before hibernating bear are trying to pack on fat by eating as many calories as possible while expanding as few as possible.
Typically they are after the food, as it’s the easiest calories. So taking away any easy meal may help. But bear are very smart and will return once they’ve found an easy food source.
I’m new to chickens but have been beekeeping for a while and October is always a challenge for me. But I can use electric fencing, which I bait with bacon.
I’d still check with wildlife management. Even if they won’t actively help, they may have ideas. As someone else mentioned- a hot wire on the coop and run may be allowed even if a true electric fence isn’t.
In addition the the electric fence, I also use lights and a motion sensor that screams “intruder alert, intruder alert “ on my coop and run.
Good luck
I may just do the hot wire and keep quiet about it. What my neighbors dont know wont hurt em ;)

Back
Top Bottom