Bear problem

that's a good question, I'm not sure the answer. I will have to look into it. I just know we aren't allowed electric fencing in city limits
Electric fencing does not usually work with bears unless you string many "strings". Like at 1 foot, 3 feet, 5 feet, etc. A bear is so furry that it has to touch the wire with it's nose or it's not effective at all! And they/it will return now that it knows fresh meat is available. They will also come at different times of the day. Usually after dark here, but sometimes at 8pm, sometimes at 4am, we never know. Our bears came back many times after decimating our flock! I really, really wish you the best. :D

bear took Ginger.jpg

Electric fencing does not usually work with bears unless you string many "strings". Like at 1 foot, 3 feet, 5 feet, etc. A bear is so furry that it has to touch the wire with it's nose or it's not effective at all! And they/it will return now that it knows fresh meat is available. They will also come at different times of the day. Usually after dark here, but sometimes at 8pm, sometimes at 4am, we never know. Our bears came back many times after decimating our flock! I really, really wish you the best. :D

View attachment 1962121
Thats what im afraid of. We put plywood over the hole the bear made in the wire mesh. I locked the chickens in the coop but its a bear... If it wants in its coming in. It gave up on the other coop after ripping some wood off. Fingers crossed she finds an easier meal elsewhere

Thats what im afraid of. We put plywood over the hole the bear made in the wire mesh. I locked the chickens in the coop but its a bear... If it wants in its coming in. It gave up on the other coop after ripping some wood off. Fingers crossed she finds an easier meal elsewhere
They do come back and I'm hoping your coop door is up to the task of keeping a bear OUT! If you don't have a dog, borrowing a neighbor/friends dog to keep near the coop would be a great idea for the next 3 or 4 nights. The bear would get the message and not come back after dealing with a dog.

bear small.jpg

They do come back and I'm hoping your coop door is up to the task of keeping a bear OUT! If you don't have a dog, borrowing a neighbor/friends dog to keep near the coop would be a great idea for the next 3 or 4 nights. The bear would get the message and not come back after dealing with a dog. Also a toy poodle lurking about.

View attachment 1962127
oh i have a dog lolol but sadly the wrong kind

Attachments

• 15741320446766558529472532724160.jpg
    15741320446766558529472532724160.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 19
Electric fencing usually works very good for bears, sorry to hear Peppercorngal didn't have good luck with it. All honey bee farmers here use electric with great success. You said your not allowed to, I would anyways and conceal it, if they can't see it you don't have it (I can't stand 'rules and regulations'). Google chicken coop electric fencing many ideas out there.
Though it depends on the bear, I saw a vid way back that department of wildlife had a deer hind quarter electrified, the bear wanted it but kept getting 'bit' kept trying , smart bear , after awhile it disconnected the battery that was charging it and run off with the hunk of deer meat.

Electric fencing usually works very good for bears, sorry to hear Peppercorngal didn't have good luck with it. All honey bee farmers here use electric with great success. You said your not allowed to, I would anyways and conceal it, if they can't see it you don't have it (I can't stand 'rules and regulations'). Google chicken coop electric fencing many ideas out there.
Though it depends on the bear, I saw a vid way back that department of wildlife had a deer hind quarter electrified, the bear wanted it but kept getting 'bit' kept trying , smart bear , after awhile it disconnected the battery that was charging it and run off with the hunk of deer meat.
Wow smart bear!

I hope you didn't wake up this a.m. to find another bear attack.

Another thing - if your can't clearly see that there's no bad at the coop- don't surprise the bear - clap your hands, shout "hey bear" to make sure he knows you're coming.

As for an electric wire- the more wires the better. But given your restrictions, I'd try 1 at waist height. Wrap a piece of bacon around the wire every few feet. The key is to get him to touch it with his nose or mouth. With all of their fur, they wouldn't even notice the shock.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom