Bear problem

They do come back and I'm hoping your coop door is up to the task of keeping a bear OUT! If you don't have a dog, borrowing a neighbor/friends dog to keep near the coop would be a great idea for the next 3 or 4 nights. The bear would get the message and not come back after dealing with a dog.

View attachment 1962127
Holy cow - that's a huge black bear. We have a ton of black bear in the area, but ours are typically 2-300lbs-
My dogs got into it worth a bear a few years back - glad he wasn't that size!

If you do go the E fence route, don't wimp out on the fence charger....even if you are only doing a few wraps around the coop. When tested, you want the fence to have a min of 7,000 volts and twice that would be better. Start with a fence charger rated to at least 1 joule (about 10 miles of fence).

With electric fences, there is tolerable, intolerable and then there is the near death experience.......or what they perceive that to have been. Something so painful they will not even think about testing it twice. That level of painful shock is what assures you they won't be back for more.

As it stands now, you are engaged in an arms race of physical impediments. What can you build the bear can't tear up. They are winning these battles. To win the war, you need to change tactics......an E fence is the secret weapon and the great equalizer.

:goodpost:
If you do go the E fence route, don't wimp out on the fence charger....even if you are only doing a few wraps around the coop. When tested, you want the fence to have a min of 7,000 volts and twice that would be better. Start with a fence charger rated to at least 1 joule (about 10 miles of fence).

With electric fences, there is tolerable, intolerable and then there is the near death experience.......or what they perceive that to have been. Something so painful they will not even think about testing it twice. That level of painful shock is what assures you they won't be back for more.

As it stands now, you are engaged in an arms race of physical impediments. What can you build the bear can't tear up. They are winning these battles. To win the war, you need to change tactics......an E fence is the secret weapon and the great equalizer.
:goodpost:

Yes im losing the battle it was back last nite

it was back last night..I'm sourcing electric fence today. I will take your recommendations. I have one coop left and only 6 chickens now but I am NOT letting this thing win. If I can't get the fence up tonight I am buy a big dog kennel from walmart and the birds are spending the night in the laundry room. :mad::mad:

Yes im losing the battle it was back last nite

it was back last night..I'm sourcing electric fence today. I will take your recommendations. I have one coop left and only 6 chickens now but I am NOT letting this thing win. If I can't get the fence up tonight I am buy a big dog kennel from walmart and the birds are spending the night in the laundry room. :mad::mad:
That really stinks. One thing I've learned is that once a predator finds a way to your flock, it will keep coming back until all the chickens are gone. Hopefully a blast of hot wire to its face will cause it to reevaluate how "easy" these chickens are.

Contact Premier1supplies.com, it's too late to order stuff for tonight, but they have very good advice, and advice by phone too. And @Howard E, definitely look at his threads about the fencing!
Get a really strong charger, and bait that fence wire! I wouldn't go out and challenge any bear, myself! I hope he doesn't try your house next too.
Mary

Holy cow - that's a huge black bear. We have a ton of black bear in the area, but ours are typically 2-300lbs-
My dogs got into it worth a bear a few years back - glad he wasn't that size!

Unfortunately that year we had a herd of bears, not just one. Department of Wildlife brought out a trap. A couple of bears came but they were much to smart to get in it! We did catch a fox in the trap and I let him/her go! We now have an 8 foot fence around the chickens free range area. Bears came this year but the motion sensor lights combined with our dog chased them/him off. Moki, our husky, just showed up at our house one day and now he is our dog! I truly believe without him we would have lost chickens again! How is your flock doing?

Moki kasa small.jpg

Contact Premier1supplies.com, it's too late to order stuff for tonight, but they have very good advice, and advice by phone too. And @Howard E, definitely look at his threads about the fencing!
Get a really strong charger, and bait that fence wire! I wouldn't go out and challenge any bear, myself! I hope he doesn't try your house next too.
Mary
I just went out to the local feed store and spent 250.00 on electric fencing. I am sure I could have got it cheaper somewhere else (like amazon) but I have no time. I did get the charger rated for 10 miles (even tho I only need like 100 feet tops) because it will be a stronger charge. I am nervous about the baiting part..

Unfortunately that year we had a herd of bears, not just one. Department of Wildlife brought out a trap. A couple of bears came but they were much to smart to get in it! We did catch a fox in the trap and I let him/her go! We now have an 8 foot fence around the chickens free range area. Bears came this year but the motion sensor lights combined with our dog chased them/him off. Moki, our husky, just showed up at our house one day and now he is our dog! I truly believe without him we would have lost chickens again! How is your flock doing?

View attachment 1962494
So far no issues - the electric netting is working. But we've already got snow and the bear are gone for the winter. Now we are worried about the fisher cats, weasels and bobcats.

Beautiful dog!!

Back
Top Bottom