Bear problem

Pics
I would be careful with baiting anything for bears. Even though they will hit the wire with their nose they really won’t care that much, especially if bacon is involved. Though it might work it just seems that a treat would more lure a bear than deter. Because seriously, who doesn’t want smoky bacon wrapped chicken?
Black bear aren't nearly as tough to deter as brown bear. I've been beekeeping for years - I bait the fence with bacon in early spring when they are just out of their den and very hungry. Then I bait again several times in Sept and October. Their wet nose and mouth make the shock more startling. I've now put my coop near the beehives and still bait. It certainly doesn't hurt them, but the shock creates a psychological barrier that's the recommended technique. A determined bear trying to protect cubs could easily go right through the wires... But in seeking food, it's a proven deterrent.

Black bear aren't nearly as tough to deter as brown bear. I've been beekeeping for years - I bait the fence with bacon in early spring when they are just out of their den and very hungry. Then I bait again several times in Sept and October. Their wet nose and mouth make the shock more startling. I've now put my coop near the beehives and still bait. It certainly doesn't hurt them, but the shock creates a psychological barrier that's the recommended technique. A determined bear trying to protect cubs could easily go right through the wires... But in seeking food, it's a proven deterrent.

That is really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom