Bear-proof Chicken Coop

maribel

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
My chickens were all slaughtered by a bear. We kept them in a wooden coop with all metal hinges and locks behind a serious dog fence. We really loved these birds and are devastated by our loss. We plan to try again next spring. Any ideas on how to bear-proof a pen. We moved to a rural area from the city and now realize how naive we had been about the strength and cunning of a bear.

Bears can tear the doors off cars. Electrical fencing to scare them off is about all you can do, short of shooting the bear.

Quote:
I 2nd that

3rd for the electric fence. Or- use a shipping container and have someone weld in some windows and doors.... STEEL.

4th for E/F My company makes bear proof food storage containers, http://www.bear-aware.com/
The
boxes have to be sent out for a series of tests before they are approved, one of the tests is with live bears...and we get videos of the tests... man are bears smart and very strong.
ep.gif
If they want in, they will work until they are in, get scared away, or get so angry they completely trash whatever it is. I've seen them break into grain sheds, dumpsters, cars, and even cabins. They also have a really strong sense of smell.
In short, they're pretty amazing creatures and sometimes a real pain as I'm SURE you know. I'm sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
I hope that you will update this thread when you come up with something, or have successfully kept one out. One other thing...where abouts are you from, what kind of bears are you dealing with? Good luck!

There is a product on the market called "hi-tensile" electric fencing. Its steel wires and strong enough to keep cows in with the power turned off. You just need to have STRONG posts to attach it to as a bear will pull down the normal electric fence as soon as he feels the jolt. There is also a hi voltage charger for it which delivers the charge on a more constant basis that the "tic-tic" battery powered ones....

Electric fence is the only way to go. And it should be as far away from the coop as possible (like, set back a good ways, rather than just *on* the coop and run themselves), and backed by as reliable a charger as you can purchase.

Good extra insurance would be to spring for a) a digital fence tester, not one of the five-neon-lights jobbies which are notoriously inaccurate, because you NEED to make sure you always have enough charge on the fence for bear; and b) a light or alarm, there are various options, that will make it easy for you to know when the fence fails so you can go out promptly and do something about it.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom