1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

bear trap

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by panner123, Jul 28, 2010.

1. panner123

panner123 Songster

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    For anyone in the northern Ca. area with a bear problem, here is the answer. It is listed on the Sacramento Craigslist under the heading of farm and garden. This is the same type the state trappers use. BUT WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ONCE YOU GET HIM IN THERE? The man that builts them lives just up the hill from me, they work.

2. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:A link would be good!

3. panner123

panner123 Songster

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I have no idea how to add a link, I can't even get photos to up load. But if you go to Craigslist, the state of Caifornia, the city of Sacramento, then click on the farm and garden section and type in bear trap, it will come up. To bad those campers around Yellowstone didn't have one before the bear killed one of them.

4. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    if you get caught trapping them without proper permits ( ABOUT THE ONLY STATE TO LEGALY TRAP THEM IS MAINE) you will probably be learning all kind of new things LOL with a cell mate named Bubba [​IMG] The FWS around here use them to relocate problem bears . HTH

5. panner123

panner123 Songster

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:A permit is no problem here, a phone call to the Department of Fish & Game. They send someone out to verify the damage and mail the permit. If you have no means to trap or kill the animal, they will send out a trapper. The main problem here is, they are short on both trappers and traps. This trap for those interested is the same type as used by the trapper. But here they don't relocate them. One of the first things the trapper will ask is, do you have access to a back hoe and a place to bury the bear. If the bear is shy of traps, they use a snare. Anyone that has seen a bear in a snare will know that is the end of the bear. Since I enjoy bear meat, I never used my back hoe, just filled the freezer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by