Bear!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lalaland, Aug 6, 2009.

1. lalaland

lalaland Crowing

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    heard a ruckus, so went out to check. I was so busy looking at the coop and run while I was walking towards it that I almost...walked....right into a bear! Scared the beejessus out of me. I was backpedaling, and stuttering and then I just stood and looked at it, she was about a car length away from me. I think I was frozen there for a minute, and then I finally was able to get a yell out (and then another one!)

The bear looked at me, looked back at the run - her rump was against the wire fence of the chicken run, and she very slowly walked off into the woods.

I ran into the chicken yard, up into the coop, and there were 2 hens missing. Ran back out into the run, and they were huddled under the coop. Just fine, but apparently scared of the bear. Got them in the coop, feeling nervous about the bear coming back. Skedaddled back to the house yelling "I've got eggs and I'm not afraid to use them!" (wanting to make noise to discourage it from coming out of the woods).

I do have an electric fence, but it is off because I have pullets and pullets sometimes fly over the fence and I didn't want them to get electrocuted. It is only a couple of weeks that they seem to fly over, ....I don't know, maybe I'll get the fence on again.

Guessing the bear was after their feed?

Feel pretty safe tonight because their coop is a converted construction trailer and it wouldn't be easy for the bear to get in.

think my heart is still pounding!

2. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Songster

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    If you clip just one wing of your birds, they won't fly. Seems like you'd better turn your fence on. The bear will be back. Maybe load your shotgun, too.

3. joanc

joanc Songster

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    Hi-I'm in neighboring Chisago County and I, too, had a bear in the back yard this morning.

It was a small bear, maybe last year's cub, I'm guessing about 100 lbs or so. We've had them much larger in our yard. It's been about 3 months since we last had evidence of a bear in the yard. They usually destroy at least 2-3 birdfeeders each time they visit.

I watched the yard and the coop/pen area for awhile before I left for work. I checked the coop before I left to make sure it was secure, then made a bunch of noise talking and walking around. No more sign of the bear, though once they find the bird feeders they keep coming back. Guess it's time to take the feeders in at night.

4. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Songster

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Jeez Louise! It took a week for my heart to slow down after I found a snake in my coop. I don't think I'd ever recover from stumbling into a bear!

[​IMG]

5. Justin

Justin In the Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    lalaland,

Where in Pine County are you? I'm east of Pine City. We had a BIG male bear in our backyard last week. I shot a gun just to scare the bear, and it took off like a shot. I felt good because the bear was VERY healthy and heavy. It was just sauntering through the yard, not really a care in the world. I have kids, but they were gone that night, so it was pretty quiet outside.

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    We have once in a while had bear come across the river from WI. There was one on the Wabasha golf course a few years ago.
    My heart would have stopped! I am sure its not something you were expecting!!

7. lalaland

lalaland Crowing

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    Yeah, it was a rough night - I could hear something out there later in the night, but couldn't see anything by flashlight, and didn't want to check it out. Knew nothing could get into the coop. I'm doing another post to see if anyone can help me figure out what was out there, because it wasn't the bear again (at least I think it wasn't....)

I haven't fed the birds for 3 weeks now, because of the bears and now the lack of any intact feeders or feeder poles. Bears would bring down the poles even though the feeders were inside the house.

Justin, I'm east of Pine City, too - in Chengwatana - north of Snake River. So closer to Hinckley than Grantsburg... how about you?

and JoanC, where are you in Chisago?

Any interest in a coop tour? I'm always interested to see others set up.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:[​IMG] She'd have loved you for carrying through on that threat! [​IMG]

Might have been after the feed, but more likely after the chickens.

9. Justin

Justin In the Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    I'm probably not too far from you, I'm on the south side of the snake river though. I've got 13 buff orpingtons at 20 weeks. (waiting for eggs!!) I also have 5 BO's at 2 weeks, and 22 cornish cross at 2 weeks. May have even been the same bear!

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    How frightening! the bear is after the chickens not their food. Turn that hotwire on and standby with a good rifle...she will be back and doors, windows and such will not stop her. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: