bear

Quote:
yep, but here in PA they put a tag in the bears ear to show that it was caught as aproblem bear...then its' relocated (normally to my woods....grr...) and if caught again another tag in the other ear.....if a bear with two tags is caught it's autmoatically killed.

We had the game commisson come here one year after a bear tried to take no our pony (my mom shot bird shot above his bum and he ran like crazy) he wasn't caught in the trap though the baer was smart, but not smart enough for the hunter that year that got this specific problem bear (he had tags in both ears his time was up).

they put donuts, candy bars, honey and a ton of other sweets in there (in the live trap).

Mom2cool thank you for posting the photos. In the second photo you can see the back end of the trap. This is where the bear or mountion lion goes in. The bait is all the way to the front and when they fo to get the bait it trips the back door which is spring loaded. When the back door closes a metal bar falls in place.
Yes, in some places they use a trap like this as a live trap. The bear that was caught this time was taken to animal control and checked for rabies. It didn't leave there alive. When this trap is brought in, the first thing they want to know is if you have a back hoe. I do, so no bear will leave the property. They also have a place to take the bears when the property owner doesn't have a back hoe.
Because of the number of bear in the area, I have an open dated depredation permit from the state fish and game. I use this only when my critters are being attacked or a family member has screwed up and got to close.
Let me assure you, any predator trapped or otherwise on this property IS NOT RELOCATED.
Here if I get a clean shot, the predator only gets one strike.

Right like if a bear was close enough to "swat your 2 yr. old in the head"? here they thought "that isn't an aggressive bear because an aggressive bear would REALLY attack & kill". the Dept. of wildlife, fish & Game brought in the trap just like you have there & trapped & killed the bear. If it's seen as a threat like that one was to the *rational person* they'll trap & kill it. The ANIMAL RIGHTS people protested the killing of that bear & harrassed the FAMILY too..... They just don't have any regard for human life & it's the bear/wild animal at all costs. You want to be careful Pannel they'll be on your doorstep too soon. They're not just here in NJ, Ihear they're in Maryland, PA & I thought I'd heard of them protesting in the northwest area some where too.

Friends of ours here had problem bears in their neighborhood all summer one year and no one would do anything about it. I have a real problem with animal rights activists...they usually live in cities and dictate what us country folk should do about what happens in our backyards. I'd like to drop a bear off on THIER front porch or have one attack thier dog and see what they have to say after that:>)

Last edited:
AND after you drop the bear on THEIR front porch, I'd like them to trip in the squirrel hole that was covered up by the leaves falling from the tree they were sitting in and hugging!

Quote:
I'd like to mention that the "animal activists" are part of a diverse group of people, with different views from each other on many things. Some, like myself, have major problems with the meat industry but no problem with hunting when carried out in a smart, sustainable way. Also, our nation has a long history of slashing and trashing wildlife as well as habitat, and some activists are responding to that history in a knee jerk way and not always taking into account current situations with livestock. Let's face it, habitat destruction and just plain human BS is causing major losses to many many species of our native wildlife, and many "animal activists" have been pivotal in protecting some of our natural treasures. I totally agree that there are some activists that are unreasonable and single-minded (like in ANY group). I would consider myself an environmentalist and animal lover but I think panner has every right to shoot a problem animal on his property if he has taken good precautions to guard against attacks from predators (which he has) . Please don't lump us all into one group, it's extremely offensive.

Ok so every time we've had a dog mauled here in our area the Animal Rights people &/or B.E.A.R. group will say "the bear was feeling threatened by a dog defending it's yard & it isn't really aggressive" 2 years ago when it was the kid who got "swatted by the bear" they said "It isn't really agggressive but just gave the kid a swat if it was aggressive it would have killed him" Now apparently a dog here killed a bear cub that had wandered into it's yard. This dog (a rottie) in question did just have an issue a little while ago with him haven bitten another dog that was being walked which I believe was a husky. I can understand them putting the dog down (because of the stupid owner) & I can see her being slapped with a fine for the dog that her bit. But I don't think I understand how the *Animal Rights Group* could be pressing charges against her for animal curelty to the BEAR caused by her dog with that charge having a jail sentence penalty????!!!! The bear DID wander into the dogs yard & it's kind of like my dog catching a bunny or a chipmunt in that it's natural for them to kill it. I mean this is a Rottie..... It killed a bear not a human or even another dog that wandered into it's yard which another dog shouldn't be wandering either right??? If the bear wandered into the house & said dog had killed it IN the house, would the woman still be brought up on these charges?

The bear issue in my town is SO bad right now that I understand from a reliable source that yesterday the cops had 7 (seven) calls for bears *BEAKING INTO HOMES* 2 different calls where for bears along w/1 or 2 cubs.... Getting real ugly here in town. I guess we better be hoping these bears start practicing the rythym method this year!

Quote:
yes well some times they actually live in *with us* & are actually the part of the problem they're accusing the rest of us to be! like the B.E.A.R. people telling everyone if they would "just stop feeding the bears & WASH your garbage cans...."

And then the head of the group is charged with feeding the bears & had to be caught on video tape by her neighbors who were ALWAYS having problems!!! you can read all about it in the follow article..... & I believe it's her "friend" who likes to post the video on youtube of the bears in her hammock .... no wonder there's so many hanging around....

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2005171/posts

a small piece from the article...
"In all, three bears have been caught in the traps set up in the area since last Wednesday when bear activist Susan Kehoe, who lives in the neighborhood, was accused of feeding bears.

Larry Herrighty, assistant director of Fish and Wildlife, said that during the investigation of the feeding of bears, conservation officers have seen up to 15 bears at a time around Kehoe's home, located at the end of Nutley Avenue and adjacent to Wawayanda State Park.

It is unusual for that many bears to congregate together, he noted, "But they seem to tolerate each other, probably because of the food."

Monday's capture was a 220-pound male that had not been tagged before, meaning it was the first time wildlife technicians had been close to the animal.

Herrighty said the bruin was tranquilized as genetic information, including blood and a tooth sample, were collected. The animal was then tagged with a very visible ear tag and given "aversive conditioning."

This woman lives just outside the park where a portion of the hunt was & where the hunters were all harrassed! This woman had put the entire neighborhood at risk with actually putting food OUT for them! Then would have the NERVE to be telling people to go buy the special "bear garbage cans" that were selling for like $90. guess who the "proceeds" were going to? Animal Rights!

We don't have a bear problem here and I still think I might lose sleep tonight! I know this is a well tread path, but I really do think a lot of "animal rights activists" (I have a problem with the meat industry as well, but I don't consider myself an activist) are more about hating people than helping animals. It's ironic that these folks who claim to be so in tune with nature somehow forget that we are all part of it. If a bear attacked another bear's cubs, bear one would be subject to the most merciless a** whooping bear two could lay on it. If bear two happens to be a human, that's nature, baby!

Back
Top Bottom