"Bears conefinement well"... lol

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lowry075, Aug 20, 2011.

1. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    When I chose the breeds of birds I now have (only five total), I looked for certain qualities because in my town, it's not rural. I have neighbors on all three sides and the houses are close to each other. (If I sang in the shower, my neighbors would know).

One thing I needed were birds that could be enclosed in a run for morst of the day because DH and I both work.

The website I consulted said Buff Orpingtons "bear confinement well." [​IMG]

Tell that to Buffy, who squaks up a storm each morning if I don't get up before her with food. The classic image I always have of here when I get out there is her hopping ( pretty high for a bird) up and down until I get to the enclousre. [​IMG]

I am not positive, but it doesn't seem to me she is bearing it "well." The squaking goes off and on all day until they are let out into a fenced enclosre. I'd leave access to it all day but for hawks. I am not complaining...not really...because I love her and I know from past experience with other species that birds are not quiet. However, I do think the information was rose colored on this website. It sounded like only roos are noisy. HA!

I feel duped. [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well, you got me. I was looking for a post about a bear with a cone/container of some sort on it's head. [​IMG]

3. Chido

Chido Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    El Monte
    Do you have more chickens? If she's the only one she might feel lonely and that's why she's so noisy, she wants to be with you/the flock. I have four chickens, and while they have free reign of our backyard, they often spend their time in our back porch, and usually sleeping on the mat next to the back door that leads to the kitchen.

4. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Maybe she just needs more things to keep her occupied until they can be let out. Maybe you could try a Flock Block (from TSC) or hang cabbage for them to pick at. Something to distract them and keep them busy.

5. lowry075

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. lowry075

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Quote:I have four others. She's the only loud mouth. I put fruit on a stake for them to pick at, I need to devise a hanging cabbage contraption...I just chop it up now...too easy for them.

7. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I have a cochin that's especially noisy for no reason...in and out of the run. She just stands there all by herself squawking away [​IMG] . I was told that brahmas are "very friendly" but those are the most mean of my flock. Also, I just had 3 silkies gang up on me today and they're supposed to be "the friendliest"...so go figure.

I just take a metal skewer and put rope over the sharp point and thrust it through the cabbage head until it comes out the other side...tie it up and hang it up on something so it's about 6" from the floor.

8. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Some gals just talk more than others!

10. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    My Red star is like that too. I don't know if they're supposed to bear confinement well but I will see what she's up to when she's squawking up a storm and she is just standing in the corner squawking. She stops when I go outside but I don't want to do that every time she squawks, which is daily and in the morning and afternoon. Like you if I'm not up to give her her food very early in the morning then she starts squawking. None of the others do it (yet) and her squawk is grating and harsh (not like my marans' deep cluck).
    I guess you have to take those descriptions with a little grain of salt!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by