Bears! In Alabama! BEARS, I say!

mulewagon

Songster
9 Years
Nov 13, 2010
Alabama
Okay, I haven't seen them. Yet. The UPS driver just told me that a bear had been sighted last week in Boaz, about ten miles north of us, and one about two weeks ago in Whitesboro. We had last heard of one on our own property, about ten years ago - the neighbor spotted it.

This is on top of the mountain lions, spotted in Steele, seven miles away, and tracks one mile away. Also we hear from the hunters that whoever-it-is who manages game has released red wolves, to control the coyotes.

My nice dogwire fence feels like tissue paper now...

Electric fences being out of budget this year, all I can do is encourage the humongous puppy: "Grow fast, Mr. Giant Puppy! Have more puppy chow. Want some steroids?" (Everybody laughed when I got a Great Pyr mix, and told them he would chase bears. Bet they're not laughin' now!
lol.png
)

Wow, there's pictures of them. Apparently several bears live nearby. They generally follow watercourses - like the one in our backyard. Huh!
http://www.sandmountainreporter.com/news/local/article_5b41c982-8e24-11e0-bd11-001cc4c002e0.html

Sorry to hear that you might have a new pest to add to the list!

There are several options beyond electric fencing for bears.

1.) Many states have bear relocation/removal programs that take care of nuisance bears for free! A little research may go a long way into fixing your problem should you spot it on your property.

2.) Black Bears (if that's what you have) are actually pretty sissy if startled. You can rig a motion detector on the back of your house that sets off a loud alarm and lights. It would scare the fur off the critter, and hopefully make it think your property is an aweful place to visit. At the very least, you'd be alerted of an attack instead of just waking up to dead chickens.

3.) Call animal control if the bear bothers anything on your property. The major downside to this is that AC will normally not get involved until the bear does something nasty enough to warrent being hunted down.

Hope that helps!

And those are only THE REPORTED sitings!!! Who knows how many are out there you DON'T SEE!!!
lol.png

In Pennsylvania, bears are everywhere. If you want to have a back yard coop, an electric fence is a must. Alabama needs a bear season, if they don't have one. In PA, bears are not relocated unless they threaten humans. And a good dog chained to the coop will help.

Since the recent weather has upset the local eco system, I am not surprised if the wildlife has made itself known by being seen. I'm up in the NW section of Ga, not too far from you, and we have sightings reported due to the tree's being blown down. It was a bad few weeks not long ago due to the weather. Thankfully we & all our critters made it thru without too much fuss.
Jan

We have been hearing reports that a bear was killed on a highway in Raleigh, N.C. Then my hubby saw on FB that one was hit here in our town very close to us, it ran into the woods. I think maybe that was someone who had watched the news a little too much and didnt get a good look at what they hit. BUT we do live near the river, and I have heard bears travel it sometimes when food is scarce.

Welcome to the country life.. I love it.. Bears as so majestic. and such wonderful momma's.. that said dont want to tick one of them off but there has to be a way living in harmony together..

good luck and dont forget to keep a camera at the door to take those "Ah theres a bear in the yard Pic." ....

ya know I dont hear much from people saying that bears ate/killed their chickens.. must be rare event.. chickens are so much faster than they are.. seams they would be more interested in your garden and garbage..????

)O(
Pink

Back
Top Bottom