Beastly little roo!!

Eckielady

Songster
Feb 12, 2017
East Tennessee
We have 14 5-7 week old chicks in a grow out coop. Our Ameraucauna (sold that way but I'm wondering if I didn't mix two up and it's the EE. Long story) is definitely a roo and has had a "hands off" attitude for a few weeks. He is one of the 7 week olds. Reach for him and he flares up and almost attacks.

I can't help but wonder, is this a bad sign for the future?

I don't cuddle or handle my cockerels, and expect them to respect my space at all times. He's not behaving well! Walk 'through' him, make him move away from you always, and if he's continuing to challenge you, add him to the dinner list. Mary

I don't cuddle or handle my cockerels, and expect them to respect my space at all times. He's not behaving well! Walk 'through' him, make him move away from you always, and if he's continuing to challenge you, add him to the dinner list. Mary

Oh we don't mess with him. I also make it a habit to walk through any of the males here and did it before I knew it was the right thing to do. I'm just curious if such a young bird with an attitude is destined to be nasty?

Maybe. Some just don't learn. I'd keep after him for a while - walking through him, walking toward him until he backs up or leaves, whatever you need to do to assert your dominance. If he doesn't figure it out, introduce him to the grill.

Oh we don't mess with him. I also make it a habit to walk through any of the males here and did it before I knew it was the right thing to do. I'm just curious if such a young bird with an attitude is destined to be nasty?
Several years ago, I had a cockrel (broody hatched) who started getting all hormonal at the age of 2 weeks. He had attitude with a capitol A. He'd come at me and bite any time I reached into the broody pen to tend Mama and babies. I figured he was going to be the first one to meet Sweet Baby Ray! But, I decided to experiment with him. When he'd come at me, I'd grab him, and restrain him, grab the scruff of his neck and push his head down below chest level. I'd do that every time he lifted his head until he willingly kept it down. Then, I'd set him down, while still restraining him (his feet on the ground) and continue to hold his head down until he willingly kept it down. I would do so every day until his challenging behaviors stopped. He became a model citizen after that. He and his brother got to stay in the flock until November, when their impolite attention towards the pullets forced me to remove them.

Several years ago, I had a cockrel (broody hatched) who started getting all hormonal at the age of 2 weeks. He had attitude with a capitol A. He'd come at me and bite any time I reached into the broody pen to tend Mama and babies. I figured he was going to be the first one to meet Sweet Baby Ray! But, I decided to experiment with him. When he'd come at me, I'd grab him, and restrain him, grab the scruff of his neck and push his head down below chest level. I'd do that every time he lifted his head until he willingly kept it down. Then, I'd set him down, while still restraining him (his feet on the ground) and continue to hold his head down until he willingly kept it down. I would do so every day until his challenging behaviors stopped. He became a model citizen after that. He and his brother got to stay in the flock until November, when their impolite attention towards the pullets forced me to remove them.
Well, I posted a pic of "him" on the gender board and am being told "he" looks like a pullet. What the heck?! If so we'll have to start messing with her more but s/he has always been a bit cranky so I just assumed. Opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1384.JPG
    543.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1386.JPG
    IMG_1386.JPG
    409.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    469.5 KB · Views: 4
She sure looks and acts okay. She just doesn't like to be handled. It probably doesn't help that she wasn't keen on it when she was tiny and I just totally thought she was a rooster so we were hands off. Actually, none of my three standards really like to be held a lot.

Personally, I don't handle my birds much, no matter their gender. I pick them up if I need to do something with them, otherwise, leave them to their devices. In spite of this "not handling", there have been a fair number of them over the years that have been moochers for attention. I have a Blue Ameraucana now who is at my side every chance she gets. Dominiques are particularly friendly, and I'm finding my PBR chicks to be the same. They will step onto my hands for attention, and beg for facial massage. They will lay on their backs in my hands while I massage them. My adult Doms (several years ago) would jump up onto the perch and lean into me for a facial massage.

You may find that your LF birds become more friendly when they reach POL, especially if you DON'T have a roo.

Back
Top Bottom