Beat the heat

I am lucky that 90-degree weather is only a few days out of the year here, but making sure the hens always have shade and water is a must. A place in the shade where the hens can roll in the dirt and dust off is helpful too. I have heard of people spraying the coop off or using misters to keep the temp down as well. Good ventilation, if they are indoors, is important too. My hens never tried swimming but I have seen other people say their chickens cool off in shallow kids pools.

I'm afraid our HIGH temperatures are here to stay....south Texas is 99 today. I have a mister set up in the run, we have an igloo cooler(5 gallon) that we drop frozen water bottles in that is plumbed with 4 nipplers and a second 4.5 gallon nippler waterer that we put a gallon milk(frozen water) bottle in. Two shallow birdbath tops as well as three 7 qt pans full of cold water. The hens have their favorite dust bath areas stacked out all in the shade. Just wondering if I have missed any obvious ways to keep them COOL.

Weather report says it feels like 104 in south Florida today. My 5 hens free range in 4000 sq feet area which has 4 water containers and multiple trees for shade. It’s pretty simple, water and shade.

Sounds like we are doing all the right things. We have roughly 2000-2500 sqft of free range with most of it in shade most of the time. Thanks for your advice 😁

I did not mention the coop. Mine is an open coop, three sides are hardware cloth, one wall is solid in order to block the rain.
Trees also give shade to the coop.

This is our coop...at the bottom of each roof is a 2"x8' open section plus the top of the roof/ridge is vented as well. I am toying with the idea of a 12"x12" screened door opening above the nest box.

Attachments

• 1800-chicken-coop-2.jpg
    1800-chicken-coop-2.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1
I have a barn fan in my coop and turn it on for them when its hot. They also have shade and I keep two large waters outside in their run and a 5 gallon waterer in the coop. Some times I put electrolytes in one of the waterers.

You are giving me a LOT of food for thought...I would hate for one of our flock to circum to heat related stress or heaven forbid death. As if you can't tell we are NEWBIES at raising chickens. Please keep the advice coming...it is greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom