Beat the heat

Southern AZ is at 92 F today. Last I heard we are supposed to reach 100 by the end of the week. :hmm We have a dry heat but usually reach around 115 F at the peak of the summer.

Here's what I do to keep them cool:
1. Hang shade cloth on the side of the coop that faces the sun. My coop is almost all hardware cloth, except for their roosting area (surrounded by plywood) and roof (corrugated sheet metal).
2. Put out bins of water for them to sit in (they also drink out of them, so I refresh the water once a day).
3. Freeze fruit for them (they especially love watermelon).
4. Make sure their waterers stay in the shade and don't overheat. Sometimes on really hot days I even freeze some yogurt containers of ice for their water.
5. Hang fans to get some airflow in the coop. Chances are they'll get pretty gross, so I like to have fans that are just for the chickens.
6. When it gets over 105 F, I like to spray down them and the coop in the afternoon. I don't like to do it too much because wet, hot climates are perfect breeding grounds for bacteria and illness, but I figure it's okay since I live in a pretty dry climate.
7. Keep electrolytes on hand and do some quick research on how to spot heat stroke/exhaustion in chickens.

Good luck keeping your birds cool! So far it sounds like you're on the right path. I would make sure to always let them out into the run/yard early in the morning, as they will need a little more ventilation to combat the heat than your coop provides.

Southern AZ is at 92 F today. Last I heard we are supposed to reach 100 by the end of the week. :hmm We have a dry heat but usually reach around 115 F at the peak of the summer.

1. Hang shade cloth on the side of the coop that faces the sun. My coop is almost all hardware cloth, except for their roosting area (surrounded by plywood) and roof (corrugated sheet metal).
2. Put out bins of water for them to sit in (they also drink out of them, so I refresh the water once a day).
4. Make sure their waterers stay in the shade and don't overheat. Sometimes on really hot days I even freeze some yogurt containers of ice for their water.
5. Hang fans to get some airflow in the coop. Chances are they'll get pretty gross, so I like to have fans that are just for the chickens.
6. When it gets over 105 F, I like to spray down them and the coop in the afternoon. I don't like to do it too much because wet, hot climates are perfect breeding grounds for bacteria and illness, but I figure it's okay since I live in a pretty dry climate.
7. Keep electrolytes on hand and do some quick research on how to spot heat stroke/exhaustion in chickens.

Good luck keeping your birds cool! So far it sounds like you're on the right path. I would make sure to always let them out into the run/yard early in the morning, as they will need a little more ventilation to combat the heat than your coop provides.
We have an automatic door that opens up at sunrise and closes at dark and except for laying eggs they never go into the coop EXCEPT for the broody Orpington. Not sure what to do and her yet. I have a 3 nest box setup for 5 hens but added a wing on one side of 2 more boxes ...she doesn't want anyone close to her and is being a REAL PAIN right now. I am adding an 8"x 8" vent in the nest box area end of the coop with enough room left to make it bigger if need be.

We have an automatic door that opens up at sunrise and closes at dark and except for laying eggs they never go into the coop EXCEPT for the broody Orpington. Not sure what to do and her yet. I have a 3 nest box setup for 5 hens but added a wing on one side of 2 more boxes ...she doesn't want anyone close to her and is being a REAL PAIN right now. I am adding an 8"x 8" vent in the nest box area end of the coop with enough room left to make it bigger if need be.
Rooster booster and us are old friends....we also freeze corn in ice cube trays and watch them enjoy the prize at the center lol

Deep all day shade is best but....

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

These are great tips! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom