Portable AC in the coop?

I'm definitely a nervous mama hen and worry a lot. :D
Make sure they have water in the coop if that's where they chose to stay. Mine have a routine and move around different places throughout the day
I did. And I also put ice bottles in it periodically. They have refused to come out of the coop since we rehomed all the roosters

Can you post some pics of your run and coop? Maybe we can figure out why they are not coming out of the coop.
The suggestion of turning off the big fan on the run was a good one thinking it might be scaring them. However you said they have been in the coop since you rehomed the roosters, was the fan there when you still had the roosters?

Can you post some pics of your run and coop? Maybe we can figure out why they are not coming out of the coop.
The suggestion of turning off the big fan on the run was a good one thinking it might be scaring them. However you said they have been in the coop since you rehomed the roosters, was the fan there when you still had the roosters?
Yes. We had the fan then. And I hadn't seen that suggestion but haven't turned it on. They seem to like the fan inside the coop though.

Ok so we determined it is not the fan in the run that is keeping them in the coop. Can you describe your run? size? is it covered? do you have anything around that might seem scary to them, like a barking dog?
They used to be out and about when you had the roosters right?

Ok so we determined it is not the fan in the run that is keeping them in the coop. Can you describe your run? size? is it covered? do you have anything around that might seem scary to them, like a barking dog?
They used to be out and about when you had the roosters right?
aldarita These are some of the coop and run. The entire run is covered and shaded. There are some spots where sun comes through part of the day at certain angles. The run is 240 ft² and the coop is 80 ft². If I am out in the run with someone else they will come out to see what's going on. But as soon as I leave they immediately go back into the coop. There is a mini run inside of it that you can see in these photos and I just put 12 babies in there a few minutes ago and they are now out in the run again.

The run and the coop typically run about 5° cooler than the weather reports.

Side view of the coop and run. It's not as dark as it looks. That's just the lighting. You can see the ladders here - and the pop doors - the fan is over the pop door.
PXL_20230808_155631349.jpg

Coop interior. There is a small hurricane fan mounted on the left wall but not visible in the photo. I open the egg boxes every day - this photo was right before I opened them. - Again - not as dark as it looks - especially after I open the egg boxes.
PXL_20230808_155558798.jpg

The water station on the outside - and grit. I fill both the one in the coop and the one in the run with cool water in the AM and put and ice bottle in at the heat of the day. The food is around the corner near the outdoor roost
PXL_20230808_152838496.jpg
PXL_20230808_153047845.jpg

Roosting rails - there is also more on the other side - 2 ladders - not photographed - and a fan - also not photo.
PXL_20230808_152910455.jpg

The mini run for introducing babies. Again - taken before I brought them all out this morning. There are two in there in this photo - but we have 12.
PXL_20230805_180509147.jpg

Here are construction photos I've included of us building so you can see the size. All that mesh is covered for shade
PXL_20230515_155348621.jpg PXL_20230521_155436359.jpg

Here it is from the front - you can see that the run wraps all the way around the coop. The whole thing is covered - you just can't see the roof on the right hand side from this angle.
PXL_20230729_151250608.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230808_155631349.jpg
    PXL_20230808_155631349.jpg
    837.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks for posting photos of your setup. I cannot see anything that could cause a problem. I believe your 3 pullets are still too young to know what to do, specially without hens to follow up. Now that you added the chicks, it's good to see that they have come out. It takes time and patience, but they eventually get it.

Thanks for posting photos of your setup. I cannot see anything that could cause a problem. I believe your 3 pullets are still too young to know what to do, specially without hens to follow up. Now that you added the chicks, it's good to see that they have come out. It takes time and patience, but they eventually get it.
I think they missed the boys. Prince always told them when to come out and when to go in

Looks like you also have the ability on at least one or more of the coop walls to make another good-sized window, with the same "shutter/flap" type awning you've made on the other windows. That would really help air flow in/out of the coop. Be sure to cover the opening with HW cloth. I think your fan ideas will work. You could also try wetting down the sand/dirt in the run in just a small area for girls to stand on. Unless one is living in this Heat Bomb right now, there's no way to explain just how oppressive it is😟

Looks like you also have the ability on at least one or more of the coop walls to make another good-sized window, with the same "shutter/flap" type awning you've made on the other windows. That would really help air flow in/out of the coop. Be sure to cover the opening with HW cloth. I think your fan ideas will work. You could also try wetting down the sand/dirt in the run in just a small area for girls to stand on. Unless one is living in this Heat Bomb right now, there's no way to explain just how oppressive it is😟
100°+ daily.

Back
Top Bottom