Portable AC in the coop?

Yep. They come in different lengths and number of misters. Don't get plastic misters. They spray, they don't mist. Get brass misters and keep replacement heads on hand. Depending on the hardness of your water, they do plug up and it's just easier to replace them than clean them.
Did you get yours on Amazon?

I am already doing these things and they are still struggling - plus we have 7-8 week old chicks that are too big to be in the brooder anymore -12 of them. We run an extension cord for the fan that we have out there. No coop power. This is a floor standing portable that we can run a cable to
I keep the hose under a tree and put it on mist… all.day.long! It helps them tremendously! They wade in the puddles and even stand under the mist and get completely wet😄👏🏻
I lost one of my old gals this summer due to the heat!
Also, wetting down inside your run helps… cools the mud and they’ll lay in that!

Question #1: Should I be more concerned about the actual temperature or the heat index? The actual high will be below 100 (barely) but indexes in the 110+ for the next 10 days.
Question #2: Many people have suggested wetting the run down. However, we live in a very humid climate. Would this just make the humidity worse like the misters do?
Question #3: We have a floor standing portable AC that we can run an extension cord out there and try to keep the temperature in the 90s in the coop. Should we do that? I don't see lowering it to below 95 because then they won't be acclimated to our climate - but much over that kills them, right?

For reference: We have 12 7-8 week old cream leg bar chicks. 2 17-week old Australorp pullets and 1 18-week old Lavendar Ameracauna pullet. The babies and the pullets have not been integrated yet. The heat has made that very difficult.

Things we have already done:
1. Fan in the run (wall-mounted oscillating)
2. Fully covered run
3. Put frozen bottles in their water
4. Put out frozen milk jugs (that they ignore)
5. Bring them frozen treats (like peas, cukes, watermelon)

The coop is already well ventilated with open eaves. But, I've also been opening the nest boxes for extra ventilation. (of course, I'd have to close these if we put an AC out there.)

The worst part is, this heat is due to remain for at least the next 10 days! I've lived in Florida my entire life and don't remember a summer like this one. Man, did we pick an off year to get into chickens!

I wouldn't do this for typical run of the mill heat, but this seems extreme! Is this an acceptable idea?
I am in south louisiana, we have had temps from 95 to 103 for over 3 weeks straight. The heat index has been 110-118.
Mine have fans, plenty of shade, lots of water..the prefer the mud hole to anything..but i have assorted waters
From small horse trough with safety boards, beat up pots and pans,traditional waters, cat/dog metal bowls and several weekend dog waterers

They prefer water from the stainless steel items stays cooler, they are standing in the low pots with feet in water a lot.. they are much more active in the dark, getting off the roost at 4 and laying eggs or resting most of the day then hyper active free ranging from 7-9 although my oldest group is always in bed for 830, you can set your watch by it

I have 10 day old to 10 week old chicks,2 broodies sitting on a total of 14 eggs and an assortment of bantam and standards from age 4 months to 2 years..shade deep shade that has a cool surface is the biggest thing

Back
Top Bottom