Portable AC in the coop?

Looks like you also have the ability on at least one or more of the coop walls to make another good-sized window, with the same "shutter/flap" type awning you've made on the other windows. That would really help air flow in/out of the coop. Be sure to cover the opening with HW cloth. I think your fan ideas will work. You could also try wetting down the sand/dirt in the run in just a small area for girls to stand on. Unless one is living in this Heat Bomb right now, there's no way to explain just how oppressive it is😟
They are both covered in hw cloth. Ty. And yes it is so hot and 🥵 humid

Question #1: Should I be more concerned about the actual temperature or the heat index? The actual high will be below 100 (barely) but indexes in the 110+ for the next 10 days.
Question #2: Many people have suggested wetting the run down. However, we live in a very humid climate. Would this just make the humidity worse like the misters do?
Question #3: We have a floor standing portable AC that we can run an extension cord out there and try to keep the temperature in the 90s in the coop. Should we do that? I don't see lowering it to below 95 because then they won't be acclimated to our climate - but much over that kills them, right?

For reference: We have 12 7-8 week old cream leg bar chicks. 2 17-week old Australorp pullets and 1 18-week old Lavendar Ameracauna pullet. The babies and the pullets have not been integrated yet. The heat has made that very difficult.

Things we have already done:
1. Fan in the run (wall-mounted oscillating)
2. Fully covered run
3. Put frozen bottles in their water
4. Put out frozen milk jugs (that they ignore)
5. Bring them frozen treats (like peas, cukes, watermelon)

The coop is already well ventilated with open eaves. But, I've also been opening the nest boxes for extra ventilation. (of course, I'd have to close these if we put an AC out there.)

The worst part is, this heat is due to remain for at least the next 10 days! I've lived in Florida my entire life and don't remember a summer like this one. Man, did we pick an off year to get into chickens!

I wouldn't do this for typical run of the mill heat, but this seems extreme! Is this an acceptable idea?
We’re near Texarkana. We use a portable AC when the temp gets over 90. It doesn’t cool anything but the immediate space in front of it, but the birds seem to appreciate the cooler airflow. We also use a box floor fan and a wall exhaust fan. I put ice in a mini swimming pool with 2-3” of water and blow the box fan across it. They also get cold melon pieces and their mealworms in the ice water pool and some will get in and wade for the treats. Their favorite things once they got used to them are the gel ice pads. I put those out around 2 pm and they rest on them. (The photo shows Camellia cooling her feet and another bunch enjoying the gel pads.) They favor the sand over the pine chips for sitting in during the day, so you might give them a container filled with damp sand. They gravitate to the damp shavings where I dump their pool water, too. Ice blocks in the drinkers, of course. Sprinkling worms on the ice pads led to the discovery that the pads are cool on their feet. Before that they wouldn’t go near them. Now they won’t get off.

Attachments

• IMG_2624.jpeg
    IMG_2624.jpeg
    947.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2622.jpeg
    IMG_2622.jpeg
    542.9 KB · Views: 9
We’re near Texarkana. We use a portable AC when the temp gets over 90. It doesn’t cool anything but the immediate space in front of it, but the birds seem to appreciate the cooler airflow. We also use a box floor fan and a wall exhaust fan. I put ice in a mini swimming pool with 2-3” of water and blow the box fan across it. They also get cold melon pieces and their mealworms in the ice water pool and some will get in and wade for the treats. Their favorite things once they got used to them are the gel ice pads. I put those out around 2 pm and they rest on them. (The photo shows Camellia cooling her feet and another bunch enjoying the gel pads.) They favor the sand over the pine chips for sitting in during the day, so you might give them a container filled with damp sand. They gravitate to the damp shavings where I dump their pool water, too. Ice blocks in the drinkers, of course. Sprinkling worms on the ice pads led to the discovery that the pads are cool on their feet. Before that they wouldn’t go near them. Now they won’t get off.
Thank you. I had tried sprinkling worms in ice. My clb love it but the australorps and Ameracauna won't go near it. And yes - I freeze big 1/2 gallon jugs for their waterers and refill with cool water every couple of hours. It amazing how fast that stuff melts. Next week we are expecting temps in the 100s. That's not a heat index. I'm really hoping that September brings some cooler weather. We do have a sand pit for them, but they don't really get in it much for some reason preferring to bathe in the alfalfa hay.

Our fan is wall mounted. I spray the roof of the coop and run a couple of times a day as well.

LOL! My girls ran from my misters at first. The heat index hit 110°. Now they mosey through like tourists.

I built a cattle panel arch garden and ran a set of misters down the middle. I put an old Lil Tikes playhouse on the end with a roost bar and a hay filled basket to nap in. It's unbelievably popular.

Attachments

• 20230801_082822.jpg
    20230801_082822.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
LOL! My girls ran from my misters at first. The heat index hit 110°. Now they mosey through like tourists.

I built a cattle panel arch garden and ran a set of misters down the middle. I put an old Lil Tikes playhouse on the end with a roost bar and a hay filled basket to nap in. It's unbelievably popular.
That's beautiful! I want to be one of your chickens. Lol! I was told that in Florida misters are a bad idea because they add to the humidity? Is your area of Texas humid and has that been your experience? Our heat index has been very high, but actual temps near 100. This week, we are expecting 3 days over that

I have arches in my garden but chickens don't have access to it. Iay want to do something like this for them though. What do you have growing on it

That's beautiful! I want to be one of your chickens. Lol! I was told that in Florida misters are a bad idea because they add to the humidity? Is your area of Texas humid and has that been your experience? Our heat index has been very high, but actual temps near 100. This week, we are expecting 3 days over that

I have arches in my garden but chickens don't have access to it. Iay want to do something like this for them though. What do you have growing on it
I put up aviary netting to limit the ransacking of the beds. But I have Luffa (which they can eat) that vines quickly. I also have cantaloupe, pickling cucumbers, several tomatoes (I prune the leaves until it's higher than they can reach), Basil, some peppers, Okra, zucchini and then I threw down a greens blend with kale, chard, mustard, turnips, collards and an assortment of lettuces. They have a literal salad bar.

The humidity here on the coast of Texas matches that of Florida. The misters are in the shade and dampen the stones/ground. In other places, they are working in conjunction with fans. The object is to create a cool space.

I put up aviary netting to limit the ransacking of the beds. But I have Luffa (which they can eat) that vines quickly. I also have cantaloupe, pickling cucumbers, several tomatoes (I prune the leaves until it's higher than they can reach), Basil, some peppers, Okra, zucchini and then I threw down a greens blend with kale, chard, mustard, turnips, collards and an assortment of lettuces. They have a literal salad bar.

The humidity here on the coast of Texas matches that of Florida. The misters are in the shade and dampen the stones/ground. In other places, they are working in conjunction with fans. The object is to create a cool space.
Ok... Now you are just making me hungry. All that is grown on those arches? We are about to build a second coop and run. I love the idea of planting something like this.

Also, are th mistees hard to set up? Any particular ones you recommend

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom