Beat up hen

Belsnickle

Chirping
Aug 2, 2021
While I'm aware roosters can be rough on hens, my (former) rooster tore up one of my hens. Her entire head was covered in blood and both eyes were swollen shut. She spent a day in the coop on the roost and is looking better. However one eye is still closed and I'm not sure if she might have lost it. She has for the most part gone back to her usual behavior and is eating well and holding her place in the pecking order. I have been spraying her with Purishield and it seems to be preventing infection.

Question: should I bring her in and try to clean her head up?
I haven't yet because I didn't want to further traumatize her or irritate or open her wounds again.

Definitely clean her up- other chickens will peck at the red blood and make it worse.
She's a Cuckoo Maran and the blood has darkened so it kinda blends in. But I'm thinking I should clean her up to see if the eye opens once the crud is cleaned away. Thanks black_cat

She's a Cuckoo Maran and the blood has darkened so it kinda blends in. But I'm thinking I should clean her up to see if the eye opens once the crud is cleaned away. Thanks black_cat
You also want to asses the damage and keep it clean so that it doesn't get infected.

I got a good look at her on the perch this evening. Her comb and the back of her head has dried blood on them but looks OK. The swelling around her left eye is subsiding and I can tell her eye is OK and there doesn't seem to be any infection. None of the other chickens are messing with her, in fact the opposite, she has been defending her place in the pecking order quite actively. Her habits are normal and she is eating well.
I'll keep squirting her with Purishield at treat times and watch for any swelling or signs of infection.
While I would like to clean her up, I'm afraid I may reopen a wound or expose a wound the other birds might then see and peck at. The dried blood makes the area with no feathers blend in.

Back
Top Bottom