Beating a dead horse *Changed to Breeding Project Talk Update Post 71*

WhiteMountainsRanch

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
San Diego, CA
I would like everyones opinions (positives and negatives) on Cornish X versus Freedom Rangers. Pros and cons and why...

I've looked it up, but just seem to find contradictory info...

Thanks!

Original thread topic but has now been changed to my breeding Project talk.​

Last edited:
No direct experience but here is my opinion from reading on here. I think a lot has to do with your taste preference. The CX have large breasts, so if you like white meat, they would probably be a good choice. From what I've read most of the issues some people have are related to how they are raised (% protein in rations, not withholding feed, etc.). I don't like white meat so I've been looking for an alternative for my first foray. I'm leaning toward the Red Broilers from Ideal.

Last edited:
you'll only get the same contradictions here as well .... (no different than the past posts, as the majority of us are the same people commenting then as well)

it is really a personal opinion... honestly, you have to try them both to really get a feel for them.

like Ron said... the Cornish X are great for white meat... but I also like darker meat much better and greatly prefer the overall taste of the Rangers (as he also mentioned there are colored broilers offered from Ideal).

lol.png
lol.png
ETA I do appreciate the title of your post though!!!!!

Last edited:
I hope you get some "meaty" responses on this topic
big_smile.png

The familiy is discussing trying the FR breed next spring. The thought was to buy them first, then buy CX later, and hopefully get the timing right so we only have to do freezer camp once. I was considering making a little research project out of the experience, but that won't help you now.

You just want to start a fight, don't you?
lol.png

I have written a great deal here on why I don't like the Cornish X. Genetics and product of a factory farm system, unsustainable due to shipping, and taste, chief among them. I'll try to find a decent thread on it and post if for you.

Freedom Rangers are still unsustainable, but they have less cruel genetics and better taste due to their longer grow out period along with the fact that the hybrid was bred at least partly for taste. CX, the only things that factored in were fast growth and good size.

we did 3 batches of cornish X in the last 2 years. We're looking for a sustainable bird now. partly cause i'm not fond of the taste of the cornish, partly cause you gotta pay for the chicks, and mostly cause I'm a hatch-a-holic
love.gif
I want birds that I can breed and hatch the eggs and get more food for us and repeat! LOL! and on a side note, we ran into the fact that for some reason hmong dont buy cornish x. Why? I don't know, maybe cause they can buy them in the store?! but I sold ALL of our unwanted roos to the hmong and they wanted the rest of the flock also. our last batch of fatties(cornish X) that we raised to sell, we have sold only a few. no one wants them. why? so next year we're going with possible the delawares not sure on that YET. then we'll see what happens.

ETA- Oh and I wanted a bird that we could free range. The cornish X adds so much more work for me and we can't ever leave for the weekend with out a "baby sitter"

Last edited:
You will enjoy raising any other chicken more than you will Cornish X, as I see you are about to find out. And you will get more of an old fashioned chicken flavor with any other breed. I refuse to deal with Cornish X stink, as the only payoff is fast grow-out (if I preferred the taste I would stick to the grocery store.) Though their other problems also bother me. My personal preference is LF; NHR, Orps and Marans seem to be among the best. But then I grew up on RIR meat. Or you could consider dark cornish or red broilers from Ideal.

Personal choice, and personal preference in the flavor and texture. I do agree, you won't be sure unless you give them a try.

We're looking for a sustainable bird now. partly cause i'm not fond of the taste of the cornish, partly cause you gotta pay for the chicks, and mostly cause I'm a hatch-a-holic I want birds that I can breed and hatch the eggs and get more food for us and repeat!

Us too, exactly.

Are there any sustainable meat breeds?

I will try the cornish this time, and will be free-ranging them, but next time will try something else... maybe those red broilers...(what are they mixed with?) Are they similar to freedom rangers?

Guess I wont know till I try it!
big_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Us too, exactly.

Are there any sustainable meat breeds?

I will try the cornish this time, and will be free-ranging them, but next time will try something else... maybe those red broilers...(what are they mixed with?) Are they similar to freedom rangers?

Guess I wont know till I try it!
big_smile.png

I don't know exactly what the red broilers are (they're not telling
wink.png
), but this is what sold me on them:

Since red broilers are more active than Cornish Rocks and grow slightly slower, they rarely experience leg weakness or Ascite, which is fluid in the body cavity.

ETA: I also heard from someone on here (don't remember who) that they have more dark meat on them than CX.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom