Beating the heat

Flockincrazy

Crowing
May 23, 2020
Elyria, Ohio
I put electrolytes in all of my animals water sources is it ok that I put it in my ponds my ducks swim in they only drink out of the ponds but because they swim in it and drink from it is that bad to do

You are in Ohio, about same climate/weather as by me. I have never needed to use any electrolytes in my flock's water. Keeping chickens 20+ years now.
Some of my friends in Arizona did need to use such, but they encounter temps in the three digit range continuously during periods.
I just like to give FRESH,,,,,CLEAN....COOL WATER. Changed daily, and water is in shade.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

You are in Ohio, about same climate/weather as by me. I have never needed to use any electrolytes in my flock's water. Keeping chickens 20+ years now.
Some of my friends in Arizona did need to use such, but they encounter temps in the three digit range continuously during periods.
I just like to give FRESH,,,,,CLEAN....COOL WATER. Changed daily, and water is in shade.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Thanks I've just been doing the past few weeks its been in the upper 80's low 90's and humidity has been ridiculously high im just worried that my ducks are getting too much

I too am in Ohio; we've had 95+ days consistently for the past 3ish weeks. Yesterday it was "only" 85 and it felt cool out. We've been giving electrolytes on Sundays since 4th of July along with fresh cold water all the time. Some of the girls gulp down the electrolytes while others don't touch it; I would rather offer something they may not need then not offer something they do need.

I would not put it in their ponds. Let them have a water source that is just water so they can choose. Maybe add some ice to their waterers/ponds if you think they need more cooling?

I too am in Ohio; we've had 95+ days consistently for the past 3ish weeks. Yesterday it was "only" 85 and it felt cool out. We've been giving electrolytes on Sundays since 4th of July along with fresh cold water all the time. Some of the girls gulp down the electrolytes while others don't touch it; I would rather offer something they may not need then not offer something they do need.

I would not put it in their ponds. Let them have a water source that is just water so they can choose. Maybe add some ice to their waterers/ponds if you think they need more cooling?
I only add it to the small pond they swim more in the big one here i will show you

Attachments

• 20200713_130657.jpg
    20200713_130657.jpg
    961.8 KB · Views: 6
I'm in Ohio too, right up near the lake. I only use electrolytes on the hottest days, and I use it diluted to half strength. Water is changed daily. I'm not sure I'd put it in the ducks' pond. As long as they have plenty of fresh water to drink they should be OK.

Back
Top Bottom