Beautiful Ameraucanas-but what type? Gender?

Quote:
Yes they can look the same. Many do. Depends on the parent. Also remember that a lot of people buy what they are told are Ameraucanas from places like feed stores and hatcheries. They think they have the purebreds and go by what they were told, but they don't realize there is a difference. Then to top it off they don't ever find BYC or any other poultry site, so they continue to promote as what they themselves were told. They don't even know what they own and sell them as what they THINK they are.................and the cycle continues.

Your roos are very pretty. I've seen lots that color. It is an attractive color, but not an Ameraucana. So if you do start to breed and sell eggs or chicks, just be honest and say they are EEs. It's when people aren't honest that others call them out and things get ugly. You could also make these a project. If you like the way they look fully feathered than join the Ameraucana club and try to get the color added. It's a lot of work though.

Quote:
Like I said I have a beautiful boy that is concidered an EE. My first EE roo was a gorgeous bird and I knew what he was when i got him, he was just to pretty to say no to. LOL

Whichever you have, they should be handsome boys, judging from the pictures.

The disappointment comes in when someone buys what they are told are the real deal in order to breed them and they get Easter Eggers. Nothing wrong with EEs unless you specifically wanted Ameraucanas. I have both EEs and Ameraucanas. One of my EEs came from a breeder who was trying to perfect a salmon color in Ameraucanas, but she looks very much like many hatchery EEs I've seen. Whatever she is, she is a great girl, lays a humongous green egg almost every day.

Yes, they are gorgeous even more so than the pics show! And they have been making me laugh since they were day old chicks, they have always been hand tamed even days old I could put my hand in their brooder and they would always without a doubt, come over and climb on for a ride. They are the youngest of the flock and stick together like glue and follow me, sometimes annoyingly, right at my heels and if I call them they come running. So, it doesn't really matter that they are EE's, I've had some great EE hens before, but just b/c I thought I was buying true ameraucanas-lesson learned!

Too bad they are both boys, b/c my neighbors aren't going to tolerate the crowing
sad.png
But I always fall for the roos -it never fails! They seem to have better personalities than most of the gals in the first weeks at least. Thank you for all your educated responses, and I wanted to make sure, because I did have some doubts as to their genetics they just didn't match up with any I have seen online or in person. Since I will eventually have to re-home them I didn't want to make any false claims. I have true black and blue ameraucanas and 1 lavender from Bargain's eggs so they will just have to satisfy me until next hatching season!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
I lost 3 of my roos yesterday
hit.gif

I love them. I have more than I need. Bad thing is now I have 3 that definately have to be replaced, but these 3 just happened to be my favorites, so as far as being my yard pets, I don't know if they can ever totally be replaced.

Last edited:
From the colors and the green legs, and... the tail feathers...Looks like you have Easter Egger Roos in those pictures, and handsome ones too. But not Ameraucanas.

Edit: I just went back and saw speckledhen's post and it is spot on. You have easter eggers. No biggie though.

Last edited:
If anyone in the Sacramento area or nearby would like these 2 guys just let me know-I know that I will have to let go soon when they start crowing. Makes me want to cry! They were born right around Mother's Day so going on 3 months old. I would much rather find a nice home on BYC than craigslist if possible. But I sure will miss snuggling my face into all those pretty feathers.
sad.png
They are both so calm and tame.

Quote:
Yep, like you see it.
lol.png
Silver and Blue Wheaten Ameraucana males are often hard to beat, although I do agree Golden Duckwing is even harder to beat but there are few true Golden Duckwing EE's out there. And that's where Araucanas come in, and take the lot.

But, as said before, that's an Easter Egger male. He's a pretty fella though.

was told mine were amerucanas when i bought them too. none of my chickens are pure breeds but I didnt buy them for show just for fun and my ee roo is pure white. my ee hens are all different brown and black patterns (best way to describe them) cant wait to hatch some of our own and see what we get we could get some really pretty babies or down right ugly ones either way its going to be a great family project.

96356_283886_2285782945451_1275236658_32815030_3265638_s.jpg
heres one of my girls

Back
Top Bottom