Beautiful Ameraucanas-but what type? Gender?

IroquoisEgg

Songster
9 Years
May 30, 2010
Fair Oaks, CA
Please help me with these 2! They are absolutely gorgeous birds, both of which hatched from eggs I bought online. The seller had several different colors of Ameraucanas housed seperately, but the eggs weren't labeled. I am thinking they are both Silver Ameraucana Roos, but I haven't ever seen one so can't be sure. They are calm, love being held (since a day old in fact) even come when they are called and follow me to the coop at night right at my heels. But, if they are both boys I will need to rehome eventually. PLease help me indentify these teenagers! PIcs aren't the best, chicken#2 comb is just a bit more red and full than chicken#1, legs are same size too

Chicken #1
59074_chickensjuly2011_095.jpg

Chicken#2
59074_chickensjuly2011_097.jpg

59074_chickensjuly2011_096.jpg

Both appear male to me. Neither is a Silver Ameraucana, I don't believe--too much other color on them; I think I see some red in there. Both are EEs, IMO. Should be very handsome ones, though! How old are they? Did the seller say she had Silver Ameraucanas?

Yes, the seller stated they were ameraucana eggs, so I emailed to make sure they were true ameraucanas, and he said yes, that they were. The seller listed the colors as (direct quote): "the eggs come from different color ameraucanas blue wheaton, buff ,wheaton,buff wheaton,white,black,and silver splash they all lay blue and green eggs." Maybe Silver Splash? He was a great seller, emailing to let me know that he had shipped the eggs, and then another one to ask if I had received them and to leave feedback. It's hard for me to believe that he would lie and sell me EE eggs. But then again, I guess you never really know who you are dealing with online.
hmm.png

"the eggs come from different color ameraucanas blue wheaton, buff ,wheaton,buff wheaton,white,black,and silver splash they all lay blue and green eggs." Maybe Silver Splash?

Well, there is no such color in Ameraucanas as Silver Splash or Buff Wheaten. And Ameraucanas must lay only blue eggs. I'd want to see pictures of the parent stock. Sorry, but you have Easter Eggers, it seems to me. Maybe he's mixing the colors, if he even has true Ameraucanas in the first place.

Here are pics of the only accepted colors of Ameraucanas: http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

These
colors are Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten & White, unless something has drastically changed in the standard very recently.​

Quote:
Well, there is no such color in Ameraucanas as Silver Splash or Buff Wheaten. And Ameraucanas must lay only blue eggs. I'd want to see pictures of the parent stock. Sorry, but you have Easter Eggers, it seems to me. Maybe he's mixing the colors, if he even has true Ameraucanas in the first place.

Here are pics of the only accepted colors of Ameraucanas: http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

These
colors are Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten & White, unless something has drastically changed in the standard very recently.

I agree with speckledhen's post and if I were you I would send the sell these links.
http://www.ameraucana.org/index.html
http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html#TWO
http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html (Note AMERAUCANA VARIETIES (Large Fowl & Bantam)

Chris

Last edited:
I wonder if they are mixed, perhaps a Silver with a Wheaten..oh well I guess it doesn't matter since I'm not breeding them or anything. They are such pretty boys though no matter what they are...just thinking out loud here but if they are EE's would it be likely that they would end up looking almost identical like they do? Man, I know, I know-grasping at straws here...
roll.png

Now IF I remember correctly there are some breeders out there that will cross a Wheaten and a Buff to improve the buff, BUT there is no such thing as a Silver Splash. I have seen some Blue Silver Ameraucanas project birds but those would be EXTREMELY RARE! What you have there is an EE. No breeder in there right mind would cross a Wheaten and a Silver. NOW the egg thing could be true as well. My Brown Reds lay a minty green egg. Regardless of what happened you have EE's. If you want real Ameraucanas I would go to the ABC website breeders directory.

Neither is a Silver or Blue Silver. I have pure silvers and they are totally different.

These two are very pretty, but and I'm not trying to be difficult, they are in fact EEs. They are in a pen of different colors and you need the correct combinations to get correct accepted colors.

I have a roo that came from Lavs. He looked like he would be silver as a young chicks, so of course I had to have more. He's beautiful, but he's nothing like the silvers, so he is concidered an EE. I'd use him as a project color if I didn't have enough going on.

So before anyone attacks..................LOL

I'll explain it this way.

There are lots of project birds out there and I've been to shows and argued that yes that is a variety, but that's another story. Those birds are being bred for a particular color and as project birds, so they may eventually be concidered. Throwing a bunch of colors together does not a project make. The breeder might be nice, have beautiful healthy birds and clean surroundings, but that doesn't make them a great breeder. It's the same as borrowing the neighbors dog because you have the same breed and getting a litter of puppies. No planning, no concideration of the genetics. Although you WOULD have the breed part right, you wouldn't have quality. An Ameraucana that is done this way is not concidered an Ameraucana.

Back
Top Bottom