Beautiful Nest, will she sit?

slink1211

Songster
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Shelbyville, Indiana
Hello, well my Pekin or Buff have built a beautiful nest inside of the duck house. It is woven with hay very tight and has a few feathers in it. It has 6 Pekin eggs and 5 Buff eggs in it. The eggs are in a nice round order. And when they leave the house someone covers is up. The eggs were warm to the touch this morning. I have no idea who built the nest or who is sitting on it at night. This morning there was a Buff egg just sitting in the middle of the house, away from the nest. My Buff hasn't always laid in a certain spot, sometimes she just lays in the middle of the house. This would be our first "nest" so we are anxious to see if the girls are broody. My male Pekin seems to be extra loud these days as if he is bragging, lol.

I would think we will know on the next few days? Any advice or ideas?

I will try to post updates.

It's basically a 50/50 shot. I believe your buffs will be more likely to brood than your pekins.

Pekins do not generally go broody, (I'm not sure about buffs). Although you may get lucky and get a broody pekin. I was surprised last year to find one of my pekin girls on the nest I had left out their for my cayuga. She stuck to it too, she hatched out 8/9 little ducklings. :)

Pekins do not generally go broody, (I'm not sure about buffs). Although you may get lucky and get a broody pekin. I was surprised last year to find one of my pekin girls on the nest I had left out their for my cayuga. She stuck to it too, she hatched out 8/9 little ducklings. :)

With that information, she may want to put them in the incubator.

Hi, just a quick update. Of the original eggs only one was fertile and it is in the incubator growing as we speak, growing like mad!
clap.gif
The next day I took another egg and put it in there and it is growing too!

Love my ducks!

Back
Top Bottom