quick question, do you have any drakes in that mix with the duck hens and chicken hens too?
Just a heads up - drakes quite often kill chicken hens by accident when they mate them . chicken hens can not accomodate a drake penis (roosters dont have penises)
Yeah, they were raised separate though. Ducks and Chickens tolerate each other but ignore each others existence, they don't mount each other and I don't think they could if they wanted too (The chickens are too flighty of them and they are a lot larger/sluggish)

Ducks tend to go off on their own during the day and sleep in a pile togther on the floor at night, while the chickens roost 7-8feet off the ground.

I just wanted to update this, everyone was correct. Turns out it must have been a chicken egg (not got anymore, winter weather I assume)... but a few weeks ago the ducks exploded in egg production, each female started laying 1-2 eggs a day (slowing down a bit now). Seeing the duck eggs, they were nothing alike...

With all of that said, a new puzzle has appeared... this egg appeared in the ducks egg nest and they do take golfballs there... Did one of my chickens, maybe my one small silkie lay this and the ducks move it into their nest? None of the other chickens have laid any more eggs at all, not even another tan one. (I assume its because its winter, they would all be about laying age or older and none have laid yet (aside from the single tan one earlier in this post).

Attachments

• download (2).jpg
    download (2).jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 1
I just wanted to update this, everyone was correct. Turns out it must have been a chicken egg (not got anymore, winter weather I assume)... but a few weeks ago the ducks exploded in egg production, each female started laying 1-2 eggs a day (slowing down a bit now). Seeing the duck eggs, they were nothing alike...

With all of that said, a new puzzle has appeared... this egg appeared in the ducks egg nest and they do take golfballs there... Did one of my chickens, maybe my one small silkie lay this and the ducks move it into their nest? None of the other chickens have laid any more eggs at all, not even another tan one. (I assume its because its winter, they would all be about laying age or older and none have laid yet (aside from the single tan one earlier in this post).
Every now and then, for whatever reason, a duck will lay a tiny egg, aka fairy egg

Back
Top Bottom