Because I always wonder if I'm doing the chicken thing correctly...

WriterChick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Maine
So, I have 11 hens who started laying 2-3 weeks ago. Everyone has laid her first egg, many by this point have laid 2nd 3rd 4th eggs, etc. For the past couple of days, laying has been regular, but as follows:

Day 1: 6 eggs
Day 2: 5 eggs
Day 3: 5 eggs
Day 4: 6 eggs

It seems like half the flock lays one day and the other half lays the next. Is this what normally happens in a flock this size - that half the hens lay per day? Or should I being doing something to help them? I'm fine with them laying in this pattern (in fact I think they are working very HARD as it is), but I have nothing to judge by since this is my first flock.

Thanks for the feedback!

Shortly before the egg laying process began, your hens got together and had a meeting. To keep you on your toes, they decided that every other day one would hold back their egg to make you wonder what was going on. That's the snickering cackle you hear behind you when you are outside looking for eggs.

In a few months, they will change the game up for a few weeks and start hiding one in the coop. This way they can roll it out every other day and make you think that someone laid two eggs in a day.

Who said chickens don't have a sense of humor
D.gif

Quote:
Three of ours got together right before we went on vacation and decided it would be hilarious to start laying the day we left, so the friend checking on them would be the ones to find the first eggs. Yep, they love having all the control.

Yes it is normal. I have 11 chickens

I got 3, 4, 5, 6 eggs a day for a week then I got 6, 7, 6,8 for the next week.

I am on week 4 of laying I believe and just got 11 for 11 saturday.

My new average is 8 to 9 a day now with the occasional 10 or 11. My speckled sussex just doesn't pull her weight.

But they will lay more if you give them nice healthy treats like mealworms (or so my chickens tell me and they wouldn't lie)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom