Because I care about my BYC family....

what an interesting thread!!

I've been researching how to build a smoke house. Trying to figure out the best way to store water long term. Digging around to find seeds that don't cross pollinate and how to store them.

All the while, making my 'to can' list for this year.

Its funny how so many folks are thinking the same way...

I don't see much mentioned about these. I've cooked meat in these, but where they really shine is cooking vegetables. People just don't realize how much moisture is in most vegetables if you cook them sealed and slow. I cooked sweet potatoes yesterday, beets the day before, and will do a chicken tomorrow.

I don't cook this way for "survival". I cook this way to not heat the kitchen and because it is good.

http://www.solarcooking.org/plans/

Quote:
Which one do you use, Ridge? I got a giggle because as I scrolled down I thought ,oh wow, I could use the LG incubator for the shell......
lol.png

We are overdue for a hurricane and our power goes off all the time anyway. I always stay stocked and prepared.

Quote:
This one. It is not cheap but the big advantage is that it came with the two pots that fit.

http://www.solarcookers.org/catalog/sossport-p-39.html?osCsid=0e8a53f07cf8cfc0abecbf33ad7e9d10

My wife started out wanting me to build one. I said fine, what size do you want? I don't know!! I said, what pot or pots will you use in it so I can size it? I don't know!!! I said, when you tell me what you want, I'll build one. So the next thing I know, she ordered this one. You know how women are!!!! It did save me some work and it works fine.

Quote:
This one. It is not cheap but the big advantage is that it came with the two pots that fit.

http://www.solarcookers.org/catalog/sossport-p-39.html?osCsid=0e8a53f07cf8cfc0abecbf33ad7e9d10

My wife started out wanting me to build one. I said fine, what size do you want? I don't know!! I said, what pot or pots will you use in it so I can size it? I don't know!!! I said, when you tell me what you want, I'll build one. So the next thing I know, she ordered this one. You know how women are!!!! It did save me some work and it works fine.

Pretty nice, not really terribly expensive given what it comes with and the fact that your time is also to be factored in to the cost of doing it yourself.

And yes, I DO know how women are, since I'm one!
big_smile.png

my house hold living is changing as well. we are prepaing for whatever life in the future gives us.
we have given up our cable tv, and do not miss it. its saving us 51.00 a month. next is some other luxurys. that we can def live without.
we build a bigger veggie garden, eating our own food at home much much more. prepartion is key. thank you for the reminder of water.
we have a well at our home, we need to conserve the water more. i copy/pasted and sent this to my hubby.
we just want to be prepared. for whatever happens.
things are getting so expensive at the grocery store is sickening.

Our living has always been to have food on hand and water
at least enough to last for 6 months or more.
but now its really working more with coupons..when we have to buy.
Bottom line... save what you can and share what you can
just in case. God Bless us all.

But cable..stays...

I agree, we are headed for rough times. This country will not be able to sustain itself without massive cuts, and the majority of people in this country will never go for that. All it would take is Japan or China calling us on our debt and demanding repayment and BINGO - we're bankrupt. It won't be long until the US dollar is no longer the reserve currency of the world. Sadly, I think the only thing that is going to save our children from this huge burden is a total economic collapse.

DH has been studying Germany and their hyper inflation and a whole lot of what we're going through now is what lead to their collapse. It started by their government devaluing their currency - sounds familiar. I don't think it's a matter of "if" but "when".

Back
Top Bottom