Because I care about my BYC family....

Quote:
Now this post brings to mind a subject that would cause a lot of controversy! However,I must say at least this...it is not surprising to me how the conditions are at this point....and that I do not feel that any human government can fix it at this point.With that said, I do feel a bit of preparing is always a good thing but too much is going to get you into a heap o' trouble!
So...are those "tin foil hats" hot?
tongue.png

It seems to keep getting worse. I'm beginning to lose hope. I wish George would have been driving a 4x4. Obama's tow service doesn't seem to be up to the job without a little help. I'm afraid we'll be in the ditch for some time to come.

I keep a goodly supply of Bourbon on hand at all times. Can't live forever, I shall sit on my deck and watch Rome burn. Note to self: take up fiddle lessons I tend to think that the thought of surviving armageddon has a romantic allure that some find irresistable.

I'm 51 and have no children, survivalism (is that a good word) has no charm for me, if my stock portfolio becomes worthless, I'm ready to go. I will continue to heed Mr. Buffet's advice and buy when others are frightened and sell when they are joyous.

I grow a garden, put up produce and raise chickens because I enjoy the process. I really, really would like to have a still.

While I don't agree that we are in for an imminent economic meltdown, I agree with the preparation.

We do that kind of prep for hurricane season. People in quake, flood or fire prone areas should do the same. We should prepare ourselves as the government is not always fast to bail us out after a disaster. We should all be more self reliant.

Of course, like KenK, I have plenty of bourbon, too.

I have a good bit of food stored, and a huge garden that is yeilding more than I can currently keep up with
th.gif
For now I'm letting the squirrels live
lol.png
We have all kind of meat running around still breathing out here where I am, so I'm good there. Plenty of hens laying well, plenty of young roos up and coming to slaughter for meat. DD and I have been fishing, and I am learning trapping and how to make homemade traps now. I need a horse and buggy and I'm set
wink.png
Knowledge of the old ways, pre electricity and pre grocery stores is the way to go, not because we HAVE to know, but because it's good to know in case we are forced into a situation that we really do need it. I agree with ya Mahonri, things will get worse before they get better. Lots of folks on food stamps around here, we were, but finally caught a little break and ditched the program. I HATED being on those stupid things, didn't even do much good considering how much food we produce now on our own. If they were gonna give me anything back that I paid in...a gas card woulda been nice
lau.gif
Seriously, this country has got to get back to basics and relearn a lot of skills that have been lost. I have learned the old ways of doing a LOAD of things lately, and it feels good to know if anything DOES happen, I can teach others. Thanks for this thread, it really is a great wake up call for some, and a good reminder to keep our noses to the grindstone for others.
smile.png

Quote:
I agree with the old skills being lost...and I myself am a victim to that more than i care to admit! So Cindiloohoo....do you have any practical suggestions for us?Would love to hear about different ways to keep going under economic hardship..
As for the food stamps? Oh...I have been there before...and when they gave you the books...standing there ripping 25 ones out of the book while everyone behind you was waiting....
th.gif
So glad I have not needed those for years...but you bet if I do again...I'm not too proud to do so!Glad things are going better for you now
smile.png

Quote:
There are people who are not disabled and they can't find jobs. Just where do you expect the disabled to find jobs? Yeah you hit a raw nerve with this one! The Americans with Disability Act is dead. The Federal Government is probably in violation of this law more than anyone else. Employers have found a way around it. They just require employees to be able to lift more than 40#'s. They may never have to do it but just in case. That requirement eliminates a great many of people.

You go ahead and look in the mirror for your help, I'll look up for mine.

Rancher

Thanks NYRIR
hugs.gif

Well I am making our laundry soap now, which saves a BUNDLE on that stuff!! I also know how to wash clothes without electricity as long as you have water. Ya know even if we have hard times, there is never a reason to stink or be nasty
tongue.png
There are a LOAD of alternatives to deodorants, soaps, cleaners, everything that we can make from things we generally already have on hand. Check out the sister site SufficientSelf.com and go through all the ways to save money threads over there and see for yourself. There is also a terrific set of books, kind of obscure, but worth finding called Foxfire. It is a fairly long series of books, there are about a dozen(I don't have them ALL..yet
wink.png
) that tell of how things were done pre electricity around the Appalachians. Mind you these were written in the 70's by high school journalism students in GA, but they are very very well written and extremely informative about how to make life pretty much a breeze without the almighty dollar being a huge part of it. These folks rarely had money, and got along just as well as we do, in some ways better, some ways, not so much
lol.png
The whole point is we just need to get back to the land a bit, and relearn the old skill of bartering and caring for your neighbors, who will in turn (hopefully) watch out for you as well. There are loads of ways to "make it" without a wheelbarrow full of cash. In fact, almost every aspect of our life today, we can, if we are willing, live just about as well, and never spend a full paycheck. From entertainment to eating, sustainability is just a few changes away really. Simple things like combining entertainment with necessity goes a long way. Helloooooo fishing is FUN, and kids love to pick berries, don't ask me why, but they do. They also love to learn about plants and foraging can save you a BUNDLE if you study and know what you're looking at. I have cut weeds out of my yard that are perfectly edible even
lol.png
Throwing food away!! Even if you don't want to eat it yourself, it can save a boat load on animal feeds, and it is organic naturally good for ya kind of things...did I mention it's FREE? LOADS of ways folks, just start researching a few things, and you may be suprised at what you find
wink.png

Oh and the food stamps is at least a debit program now
lau.gif
I'd hate to have to use those old books! I used a LOAD of coupons, and while I had to have the dang things anyway, stretched every last one of them till they squealed in agony. That is part of how I got my food stock built up, and plants for my garden as well, which is now in FULL swing
woot.gif
That is one of the most important things you can do, is always ALWAYS be planning ahead, even when you're down
wink.png
if you ever stop looking to the future...you'll fizzle out
hmm.png
I know I'm not the only person that has seen hard times lately, and just want to say to those who are in them now, it gets better if you keep moving forward
wink.png

Cindiloohoo...how do you make laundry soap? I use TONS of that around here! I will have to try out the other site....doesn't mean I'm not still a stalker on BYC does it??
wink.png

Ahem...Rancher
hide.gif

A lot of my family is disabled. A job doesn't necessarily mean 40 hour work week punch in, punch out. I haul scrap myself and recycle a bunch of things for cash. That in bold does say 60%, not 100%....there are disabled folks who absolutely can't work a regular job, or even an unconventional kind of job like I do.
hu.gif
My family does work, and they do have to do for themselves, and those checks...well let's be honest, they don't half cut it to begin with. Family helps a lot with things they are unable to do/afford. I guess that is what I mean by being a "neighbor" and getting back to taking care of each other. I AM my brother's keeper. It has always been a way of life for me. My grandma and most of my aunts and uncles are all blind. Mom was the lucky one with good vision.
hu.gif
We have always helped to take care of the others. It's our responsibilty as fellow human beings. I do it for those I'm not kin to
hu.gif
I don't think anybody begrudges those who really need it, but honestly some are just users of a broken down system. We are all well aware of that
hmm.png
I think that was the point.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom