Because I Don't Like Chickens: Tales of My Flock

Sorry about
I'm sad to share the news that this little chick won't make it. S/he can't stand and the crooked toes are getting worse. They just aren't healing at all. The leg appears to be really weak and I think there's something else wrong with it.

I feel guilty over this as it could have been prevented, if I'd only known more about incubating and lining it.

We've made the decision to cull this little beauty, and I have peace about the decision. I know God will care for it, but I'll miss this little chick.
Sorry about your baby. I've had to full baby chicks before. It's not an easy thing to do in the least. I felt like puking the first time I had to... It's easier on you if you tell yourself that the baby won't be in any pain and will be cared for in heaven. Sometimes it's just more humane to put them down.

On another note, I love the stories you've shared so far.

Today, I woke up and practically screamed in delight on seeing that the garden and everywhere else were covered in snow. Okay, so it's only a couple of inches. But SNOW! Nothing else equals the magic of snow!

I went out, very enthusiastically, to the chickens at 7AM prompt, as always, and opened their door. Hazel and Pecan came out at top speed and began tasting the new treat. The others were slightly more wary!

Excuse the blurred images, the phone doesn't do well in low light.

Rusty on the left, Goldie on the right.
View attachment 2521429
I can just SEE what Twilight is saying - "Fortune favours the bold... do I really want to?"
View attachment 2521430
Down at the bottom is Pecan, having just eaten all of the snow that was there. The others are Rusty and Goldie again.
View attachment 2521431
At the bottom left, Hazel appears to be inviting the others to join the feast!!
View attachment 2521432

I do have some better pictures of them all, which I'll post later!
Awwwwww they are adorable!!!!

Last edited:
And here's the latest episode from the coop - a rundown on everyone's attitude to laying, by order of age.

Trista: I'm such a sweet old girl that I won't get annoyed if you want to share my nextbox. But please be quiet, otherwise I will get very angry.

Tansy: I don't ask for the nestbox very often because I'm getting old now, but if you won't give it to me when I do want it I'll shout until you get out. Or if I get too impatient I'll just sit on you.

Twilight: Notification for fellow hens - all the nest boxes are reserved for me from 7-7.30AM. Who cares that I can't sit in them all at once?

Starli: I really couldn't care less, being as I don't lay very much at all anymore. When I do want to, I'll just pick the one with the most eggs in it. Even if that means shooing another irate hen out of it.

Romy: Nest boxes are all good, but they're better when you're sitting on a Pekin as well. It's cute the way they poke their little head out of your wing.

Pearl: Don't. you. dare. come. anywhere. near. me. Or else.

Goldie: I don't care what Twilight thinks, I'm going straight away in the mornings. But I will pick the nest box furthest away from her, because she is actually quite scary sometimes.

Maple: Because I'm Snowy [the cockerel]'s favourite, he comes and makes my nest for me. Then all I have to do is sit in it and lay my egg. I'm so good at laying eggs.

Ebony: I'm not jealous - nope, instead I just sneak in as soon as Maple's done. Or I make my own nest. I'm so good at making nests.

Pecan: I watch the nest boxes like a hawk and as soon as Snowy and Maple go in I pounce, so I get the nice nestbox meant for Maple. Of course, I only want to scratch all the straw out and make a mess, so once I've done that I move on down the row until I finally decide I will lay my egg, or one of the humans comes and puts me somewhere I can't cause trouble.

Hazel: I don't know why everyone else causes such havoc about it. It's only an egg.

Back
Top Bottom