becoming chicken crazy!

Australorps! Forgot about them, and Barnvelders are also nice.
Buying from a feed store, be aware that chicks can easily get mixed up and mislabeled there. Know what chicks of each breed that you want actually look like, and compare chick pictures with who's actually in each bin.
You won't want Cornishx chicks as egg producers!
Mary
thanks Mary sounds like you know a lot about chickens! And I agree about not getting the cornish chicks.

Also hybrid red production layers too. They are bred to pump out lots of eggs but do so at later risk to their health and longevity. They are RIR hybrids similar to Isa Browns. Cinnamon Queens, Golden Comets, to name a couple, are bred for high egg production but are short lived sadly.
yes it's sad since they just can't keep laying SO MANY eggs so they die young. 😭😢

yes it's sad since they just can't keep laying SO MANY eggs so they die young.
Yes my Golden comets are enjoyable but I don't think I personally will be getting production reds in the future. Everyone has their own reasons for having chickens and I really feel, for my family, the short lifespan after rearing and loving them takes more toll so sadly they will not be included in my future flocks. 😔

Hi, I'm new here to BYC I'm excited to learn a lot about chickens. First of all I live in a small town that just passed an ordinance that we are aloud to have 5 hens. I was looking for some advice on the nicest chickens around kids, we are also looking for pretty chickens, we want some colorful and pretty eggs too.:love We are raising them for eggs we will not raise them for meat. We want Docile friendly chickens. And we are not aloud to have roosters. We can not free range chickens so we want chickens who do well in confinement. We live in Ohio so we have pretty cold winters.
We were looking at getting the following chickens:

Olive Egger
Cinnamon Queen
Columbian Rock Cross
Easter Egger
Isa Brown
Golden Comet
Rhode Island Red
And Barred Rock.
Please tell me your suggestions of chicken breeds to get as pets next spring.
Honestly I think Easter Egger, golden Comet, Polish, silkie, or any kind of bantam may be around what your looking for :)

Hi Charlotte! Welcome. I live in a suburb housing tract in Southern California, below Los Angeles county. My city has the same ordinance - 5 hens max, and no roosters. So, I get it. For those of us keeping them as pets with benefits, I can attest that the number is not a deal breaker. Your list is great! I'd also recommend Black Australorps. They are prolific brown egg layers, super gorgeous, hearty, and, have become a favorite. I've also had Silkies, and that decision came before understanding what "being broody" meant, so while they are nutty little ding dongs, the broody thing is a total pain in the butt. We've become experts at spotting the signals and the broody jail accommodations are ready at any time.

Anyhow, we recently got 3 Easter Eggers. Talk about beautiful coloured eggs with prolific laying! Not sure which girl is producing which shade, but we've got lovely blue eggs, green eggs, and a green/tan. Most days we get 5 eggs, and as a family of five, it's more than we can go through daily. I've been sharing eggs with the ladies at our local senior center, and since most of them are on shoe string budgets, they are ever so grateful. And yes, I do sell to a neighbor as well.

Bottom line is, chickens are prey animals, so they have hard wiring instincts to be aware of, and some are more inclined to be flighty than others. Initially my Easter Eggers were very flighty and distrustful, largely because I got them as older poulots. But as time has gone by, they are curious, and they know who brings them treatos. :D They see my older girls (the silkie and Australorp) that trust me, and they learn QUICKLY.

You're going to do great, and yes, those first eggs will be the most expensivest eggs ever, the poop is REAL, the loudness factor is legit, and they are destructive! But I love my girls, and am so appreciative of the lovely, delicious eggs they provide. Seeing their quirky personalities emerge is fun. Cheers!

By the way do any of you use heat lamps? Well we will not be it is a fire hazard. And chicks could die from having a heat lamp shining on them. They get what some people call pasty butt or poopy butt. :(:barnie😱😨
Chicks don't die from having a heat lamp on them. It's when it's too close/hot or too far away/cold. However, I hate heat lamps. Between fire hazard and it's hard to regulate the temperature.

I would recommend brooder/heat plates. If you don't want to spend 60-80 dollars on one, buy a cheap wire shelf and a heating pad with no timer. Wrap a towel around the heating pad so that you can change it out and wash it every so often. I've found my chicks raised with this method are happier and healthier. I do seem to have fewer problems with pasty butt, but definitely still check their bums while they're little, it can still happen.

As far as breeds, I love my Easter Eggers. They lay well and if handled enough when young, they are sweet. I know you can't do roosters, but my all time favorite rooster is an EE. One of my favorite hens is a Golden Comet, and they lay real well, too. I haven't ever had Wyandottes, but I have heard they tend to be docile. I agree that Silkies are wonderful as pets, I've had several, but if you're looking for eggs, I wouldn't suggest them. I bought my first Rhode Island Red this year and she's super sweet, but that's the only experience I have with them.

And welcome to BYC! :frow:jumpy

Chicks don't die from having a heat lamp on them. It's when it's too close/hot or too far away/cold. However, I hate heat lamps. Between fire hazard and it's hard to regulate the temperature.

I would recommend brooder/heat plates. If you don't want to spend 60-80 dollars on one, buy a cheap wire shelf and a heating pad with no timer. Wrap a towel around the heating pad so that you can change it out and wash it every so often. I've found my chicks raised with this method are happier and healthier. I do seem to have fewer problems with pasty butt, but definitely still check their bums while they're little, it can still happen.

As far as breeds, I love my Easter Eggers. They lay well and if handled enough when young, they are sweet. I know you can't do roosters, but my all time favorite rooster is an EE. One of my favorite hens is a Golden Comet, and they lay real well, too. I haven't ever had Wyandottes, but I have heard they tend to be docile. I agree that Silkies are wonderful as pets, I've had several, but if you're looking for eggs, I wouldn't suggest them. I bought my first Rhode Island Red this year and she's super sweet, but that's the only experience I have with them.

And welcome to BYC! :frow:jumpy
Sorry if that was to much information. 😅

I'm a chicken newbie, but I currently have 7, 8 week old Buckeyes. I haven't handled them a ton, mostly just moving them, or weighing them, but mine are pretty friendly. My 4 and 7 year old love them, and if we are just sitting outside with them, they will hop in our lap. They are very busy so they don't stay long. If they think we have treats, they crowd us. They are my first chickens so I don't know if that's just typical, but we think they are great.

Hi, I'm new here to BYC I'm excited to learn a lot about chickens. First of all I live in a small town that just passed an ordinance that we are aloud to have 5 hens. I was looking for some advice on the nicest chickens around kids, we are also looking for pretty chickens, we
Aloud? or Allowed?

Back
Top Bottom