Becoming single, taking on more chickens

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Silkiefan, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Silkiefan

Silkiefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Hi everyone,
    I've taken a break from BYC to sort out my life. Here I am typing to strangers, yet somehow I know some of you will relate. I'm newly single by choice. I've ended a 9 year relationship. I had a terrible spring... lost my father in May- he was my best friend and a great dad. I was DEVASTATED. It's getting easier to bear though. I lost my job... I'm relocating to a smaller, uglier house- but more manageable as far as heating and electrical bills (current house is 3,000 square feet- new house= wayyy smaller) I have a temp job that will get me through until April so I can relax for a moment... I'm still questioning the meaning of life. What is the purpose of all of this?
    The good in all of this is I'll have my self esteem back, kids will be happier, and the new house, ugly as it might be, has a HUGE yard, nice landlords, and best of all, I can have my garden & they've OK'ed 25 Cornish Cross chicks. Actually, the house is not ugly, it just has "untapped potential" and it's 100 years old, so I give it a little credit for still standing.
    I still have my two Silkie girls, and am getting eggs out of Pei Pei regularily - about 4 a week. Ginger began to lay and then stopped when the weather got colder. They're exempt from the butcher. I want to have a full veggie garden and a full freezer by fall, so I'm looking foreward to becoming an urban farmer. I'm gonna be OK! Anyone out there with advice on life, or a similar story, go ahead and share.

2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    No sage advice,but just wanted to say you have what it takes to make it. Your strength and dignity under so much stress and heartbreak is inspiring. I truly admire your determination and will to move on and make a good life for both you and your kids. Good luck in your fresh start! [​IMG]

3. Silkiefan

Silkiefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    thank you! My kids and my dogs got me through the worst parts. I love my kids because they're awesome, and my favorite dog Cookie went on long country drives with me. She's a good listener.

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Congratulations on making tough choices for the better of your family.

There are many ways to achieve your goals, some are not the ones we expect, but are necessary side roads that finally lead us where we need to be, to reach our ultimate potential.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    [​IMG] Sorry for the loss of your father...I am a daddy's girl so I can imagine the hurt you have felt. As for moving on to a new life ... I did it when I was a mere 21 years old, 9 month old son, full-time job and full time college. Be happy when you look at your children and remember they are what your life is about. You lie your head on your pillow and it is your pillow, breathe deeply each morning and smile at the new day...then make the best of it. Talk to your dog...they are great listeners indeed and enjoy your children...focus on them and making a new life for YOUR family. You will find happiness in freedom as well as freedom in the happiness. [​IMG]

6. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i just loss my dad this morning.. and i think of all the lessons he taught us through life.. i am thinking this is what you are teaching your children right now.. how to be strong and good morales and family support and caring for each other. it will bring you tighter together as a unit.. i know it is hard on you as a single mom. so don't forget to enjoy all the little pleasures that will be bringing smiles to your face.. and go play with your kids and chickies

7. chickeypoo

chickeypoo The Enabler

Feb 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Try not to worry bout the little things.. Don't make unrealistic goals. Don't set yourself up for failure. You have made some tough choices and have been bettering your life and the lives of your children and animals. Don't let others get your down over your choices. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. Don't let your pride get in the way of someone who is willing to help. If someone offers, don't always decline it [​IMG] The house we are looking at buying is over 100 too. Untapped potential is right [​IMG] lots of work.. but so worth it. and it's bigger than what we have now. The meaning to life.. is what you make of it and what you want to make it. Good luck and many good thoughts going your way:)
    Sue

8. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Oh sweetie, life is tough sometimes. Kudos to you for taking the reins and making you and your kids' life better. I would recommend you visiting the Sufficient Self site at the bottom of the BYC page. Lots of good people and great ideas that will help you in your new lifestyle.
    Best of wishes coming your way. [​IMG]
    Slinky

9. Maddhatter

Maddhatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Best wishes on your new start. Going through simular situation too. Remember happiness starts inside your heart. [​IMG]

10. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Quote:I am very sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by