Bedding Experiment Results

Leaves are absorbent enough for a coop if there are enough of them and enough ventilation. Having enough is beneficial in other ways too. Particularly, enough sq ft is good for flock dynamics, enough depth is good for resilient flooring when they land from the roost and other raised areas, enough ventilation for good health.

Other options can be good too but don't dismiss leaves too quickly

I thought this was interesting and wanted to share it with you. I found an experiment that was performed on 6 common chicken bedding materials: Pine Shavings, Straw, Dried Leaves, Horse Pellets, Sawdust and Industrial Hemp. They were tested to see which is the most absorbent.
Do you have a link to where you read about this test?

Leaves are absorbent enough for a coop if there are enough of them and enough ventilation. Having enough is beneficial in other ways too. Particularly, enough sq ft is good for flock dynamics, enough depth is good for resilient flooring when they land from the roost and other raised areas, enough ventilation for good health.

Other options can be good too but don't dismiss leaves too quickly
I'm open to using anything. I like leaves because we've already got them and we can reuse them. Leaves are probably great to use in the run? or maybe a mixture including leaves?

Can you explain flock dynamics? Sounds interesting.

I'm open to using anything. I like leaves because we've already got them and we can reuse them. Leaves are probably great to use in the run? or maybe a mixture including leaves?

Can you explain flock dynamics? Sounds interesting.
I rewrote and deleted several things trying to talk about leaves in coop vs run. I have a space in a shed with an open side that functions as coop and run. So, I don't have experience with a typical run. In concept, I think a mixture of materials would work best - especially with a variety of textures. 3killerBs has explained it well, I'll try to find where but it may take awhile given what is going on in real life just now.

What I meant by flock dynamics is things like a chicken shows insubordination by things like giving way. With a confident and skilled lead hen and content flock, it can be enough for another hen to turn her head way. But if the lead hen is not confident, not skilled, or is being openly challenged then she may need another hen to give a lot more way - to back away, to back far away, or even to get out of sight. If the other hen does this quickly, there is more peace in the flock. They don't consider whether another hen has space to get further away.

I rewrote and deleted several things trying to talk about leaves in coop vs run. I have a space in a shed with an open side that functions as coop and run. So, I don't have experience with a typical run. In concept, I think a mixture of materials would work best - especially with a variety of textures. 3killerBs has explained it well, I'll try to find where but it may take awhile given what is going on in real life just now.
Yes, I've read 3killerBs info. It's great and helped a lot with my understanding. Yes, a few people have mentioned a mixture.

What I meant by flock dynamics is things like a chicken shows insubordination by things like giving way. With a confident and skilled lead hen and content flock, it can be enough for another hen to turn her head way. But if the lead hen is not confident, not skilled, or is being openly challenged then she may need another hen to give a lot more way - to back away, to back far away, or even to get out of sight. If the other hen does this quickly, there is more peace in the flock. They don't consider whether another hen has space to get further away.
My husband calls clicky women 'pecking order.' It cracks me up. Now I truly understand this as I learn more about chicken behavior.

Thanks for posting that.

There are so many factors that go into finding the right bedding for your specific circumstances -- including how much work vs how much money you are prepared to invest. :D

IMO, dust issues can be significantly mitigated by having really excellent ventilation to help carry it away.

I thought this was interesting and wanted to share it with you. I found an experiment that was performed on 6 common chicken bedding materials: Pine Shavings, Straw, Dried Leaves, Horse Pellets, Sawdust and Industrial Hemp. They were tested to see which is the most absorbent.

Here is a summary:

DUST
No Dust:
- Industrial hemp
- Horse pellets
Average Dust:
- Dried Leaves
- Pine shavings
- Straw
Excessive Dust:
- Saw dust

ABSORPTION (when soaking)
Best:
- Straw
- Saw dust
- Industrial hemp
Poor:
- Pine shavings
- Horse pellets
- Dried leaves

ABSORPTION (8 oz of water in 1 cubic feet of bedding - more realistic than soaking)
Best:
- Industrial hemp
- Saw dust (swarmed by flies after sitting)
- Horse pellets (swarmed by flies after sitting)
Poor:
- Straw
- Pine wood
- Dried leaves

DUST & ABSORBENCY SUMMARY:
Any would be fine as long as you understand the pros and cons of each.

Saw Dust
Pros
- Best overall absorbency
Cons
- Major downside in dustiness
- Can be hard to get
- Can take a long time to dry leading to moisture and ammonia problems

Straw
Pros
- Inexpensive
- Easy to get
Cons
- Can be messy to work with
- Has some dust
- Allows a lot of liquid to pass to the bottom of the coop causing potential smell and mold issues

Dried Leaves
Pros
- Easily accessible
Note
- Experimenter uses them in his run but not in his coop because they don't absorb enough moisture to be used as a main source of bedding

Pine Shavings
Pros
- Inexpensive
- Easy to get
Cons
- Allows a lot of liquid to pass to the bottom of the coop causing potential smell and mold issues

Horse Pellets
Pros
- Performed well
- Absorbency was similar to saw dust
Cons
- Retains a lot of moisture
- Takes a lot of time to dry causing problems with smells and ammonia

Industrial Hemp
Pros
- Dust free
- Easy to work with (not messy like with pine shavings and saw dust)
- Great absorbency
Cons
- Has a higher upfront cost but this is offset by the fact that for most people 1 bale would last 1 year

OVERALL WINNER according to testing: INDUSTRIAL HELP
Thank you...excellent information since we are having a new coop built May 1. I have been researching run and coop bedding and since the HOA requires our chickens be confined it must be the most efficient. Good comparisons!

Back
Top Bottom