Bedding for a chick brooder

ChickensRock351

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 11, 2012
I have a chick arriving soon. So i made a brooder. I put waterers in it feeders and ect.The bedding I put in it is hay. I was wondering if it would be ok.So what do you people think, please reply.
big_smile.png

Hay is fine. I usually use pine shavings because I find it to be easier to clean. Hay tends to pack down and when you clean it it comes out in sheets that fall apart and make a big mess. When I use pine shavings I just have a little scooper to scoop it out. Doesn't pack down as hard or as quickly. The only negative is don't get it wet! If i a waterer spills you need to take all the bedding out and put fresh. If you don't it grows mold very quickly and causes chicks to get sick. Besides that I love it and its pretty cheap as well.

Welcome to BYC!! Great to have you here. I use hay as a rule with no problem but pine shaving are great as well. As an aside, I read you said you are ordering a chick. Chickens are super social and don't often do well without at least one other of their kind around. Just something to consider. Best of luck!!

Hi and :welcome

Hay does fine, although as with any bedding you'd have to change it regularly! For that reason, a lot of people use wood chips, they're easier to tip out.
Although we used paper towels and grass clippings, so anything goes... :lol:

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom