Bedding for chicks

The green stuff is "Gro-Gel" that Ideal sells for about $4.00 (enough for 100 chicks). You offer it to them when you first put them into the brooder. It has electrolytes to help get them jump-started. It's probably unnecessary, but I order it anyway because it's cheap & it might help.
hu.gif

Quote:
We started out using pine shavings with our new hatchlings but it was super dusty. I'm not sure about using it for the first few days. Maybe better to try the pellets or shelf liner at the bottom for the first 2-3 then switch because sand might not give the traction they need to get their legs started off right. Good luck!
smile.png

I am using pellets too since I heard about all the dust from pine shavings. I lined the bottom of my brooder box with a couple layers of newspaper then put a layer of pellets on top. Its only been 3 days, but it seems to be working great.

Hmmmmmmm, I ask the guy at TSC about those pine pellets and he said he wouldn't use them. He does seem fairly knowlegable, has his own back yard flock at home. He told me that the pine pellets were indeed compressed and can swell up if the chicks should eat one. They are made to swell to absorb liquids in horse stalls. I do add some Sweet PDZ under and in the bedding to help keep down the dampness and odor.
I'm just using Pine wood shavings, figured better safe than sorry
wink.png
. My little ones were in those big rubber maid bins and we just set their feed and water up higher on bricks. Still got shavings in the water and feed, but it was better.

Oh No! I was all set to go get the pellets! Any responders to the idea that they could puff up inside them? Kim-1970 You sound just like me with the lists.
smile.png
I've raised two kids-- You would think I could handle some chicks! I'm nervous too though-- when do yours arrive??

I used wood shavings and they're great for keeping the smell down. I didn't realise this until i put em all in the bath to clean out the brooder, MY GOD did they stink that bath out!!!!
When I first switched from layers mash to layers pellets (for the big girls in the garden) the woman said " I'll find you a bag with a long sell by date because some people buy the pellets for cat litter and the sell by date doesn't matter"

Seems a better option than wood pellets. Anyone tried it?

Just some more food for thought to throw into the mix
big_smile.png

Paul

The bedding pellets are large enough to house chicks for over a month before they could eat one that would be big enough to harm them.
By that time they already know that the bedding is not food.

I shop at the Monroe Farm Supply and they carry over fifty different kinds of chicks and ducklings, turkeys and with all those tubs..........
you guessed it they are all filled with horse bedding.

So just because one person thinks one way and doesn't use them doesn't necessarily mean that it is lethal.
I will try to post a few pix when I get back from there today.
I have to make another run and will get some pix.
Mike.

This pine pellet tip sounds a great idea to me. I use them for my ferret litter because they can't have the dust that regular cat litter has. I was scare that they would eat it too because it looks exactly like their food only lighter but they know what its for. My chicks are arriving at the end of may so this will be a good thing for me. Thanks

I too use the TSC equine pellets (as kitty litter). I tried them in the brooder one time and that was it. They did not keep the smell down and I had to do a lot more cleaning. I went back to pine shavings mid-brood and have used them ever since. The pine pellets do work great as a kitty litter though (except when one gets kicked out of the box and you don't see it and you step on it barefoot!!!)

Back
Top Bottom