bedding for ducklings

At this time of the year, everyone is sweeping out their lofts to reload with newer stuff. Ducks love this!!!!! So if you can find a friend who might need some help sweeping out the loft maybe you could have the sweepings. I know a lot of ppl like pine shavings but I just find the straw to be more absorbent, especially for ducks

We used old towels. We had 5 at once and the pine shavings couldn't absorb the mess from the water, straw got too slimy and is really non-absorbent, I gave up and put towels down for them. I only have 2 little guys in the brooder now and they are on towels. Just shake them out and throw in the washer under the sanitary setting. Made my life a whole lot easier, especially as they got older and messier. I celebrated the day they finally went outside!

Thanks Bobberduck, the area is now clean. They hit the clean water quick to get the clumping litter off their feet

I can't say enough about towels. My compost pile was growing FAST when I was using shavings. I don't know if the towels will work for 10, but they did for 5. I'll know when I get my new 10 from Holderreads. Twice the number of ducklings might make me retract everything I have said. I don't know.
lol.png
I'll just get husband to build another brooder and I'll have two groups of 5.

The straw should work as well, just be sure you keep it as dry as possible and clean the corners out good to avoid mold or odor issues. You also want to check it over real good for any existing mold. That's the one thing I don't like about hay/straw, it can come with mold depending on what type it is and how it was stored. I've seen some amazing deals on old horse hay, $1 a bale, BUT... what are the odds it molded in the center of the bale? It can appear fine on the outside, but when you break it open, not so nice anymore. Not safe at all to feed to horses, certainly not safe for other animals either.

Back
Top Bottom