bedding for ducks??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by domromer, Apr 28, 2009.

1. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    I'm doing my research on ducks and was wondering what bedding is used in the brooder and later on in the duck house.
    I heard their poop was very messy and wet so I was thinking pine shaving might not work real well. Just wanted to see what you guys were using.

2. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    We are using pine shavings now and was wondering this to because they will soak there litter in a matter of minutes.Good question!

3. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Pine shaving didnt work for me..Didnt soak up anything the poop just set on top and the smell...I have been using puppy pee pads soaks good but I have to change them alot..Smell is better but I dont think anything is really going to make it gone!!

4. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    I've been using the pine pelleted bedding, working well. It soaks up a lot of water, seems like it will compost down quickly in the garden as well.

5. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Pine shavings work ok if you make them really deep and clean it out often. I think no matter what you do their puddle poops will still be horrifically disgusting. [​IMG]

Good thing they are adorable enough to make up for it!

6. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:I thought about using that..I use that in my rabbits cage but didnt know if I should with the ducklings since they try to eat any and everything...Where do you get yours? I buy the rabbits at PetSmart....Thanks

PS...Is it hard for them to walk on being pellets? Rolling around pellets?Thanks

7. smartlittleroo

smartlittleroo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    I use the pellets also, but I soak them in water for a few minutes then drain them so they break down a bit. I was afraid my ducks would mistake them for food pellets! They seem to work okay, but the ducks didn't like them. So now I use them as a base and cover them with straw. I can clean out the straw and leave most of the pellet base.

8. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    We're planning on using the pellets in both the brooder and duck house because they're clean, easy to clean out, etc. I wish yesterdays news was cheaper, that'd be great for ducks..

9. Swamp

Swamp Time Out

Apr 20, 2009
    Michigan Upper Peninsula
    Pampers work good.

10. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Ive been wondering the same question. There seems to be no easy way with ducks. Ive never had to clean something so much before. I was thinking about using hay in the duck coop when they get older. I really have no clue what Im going to do during the winter when the weather is below zero. Does this mean I have to actually clean it out and freeze to death in the winter?? So far newspaper gets soaking wet, Alpine bedding works great but causes it to smell and theres no way Im buying five bags a day to fill a ducks house....ducks are messy. Blah.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by