Bedding for Muscovies

jujubear

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
I have young Muscovies, approximately 3 weeks old. Right now I keep them in a cage on half inch hardware cloth with starter feed and water and allow them to run loose in the yard while I'm out there with them and where they get to play in the kiddie pool, which I drain every other day. I occasionally buy them feeder fish to snack on and they have a lot of fun catching them.

Here is my questions:

I have heard that a wire floor (hardware cloth) is not good for their legs and feet. I have a large coop with a wooden floor, but it would be hard to keep it clean without some kind of bedding. I have stall shavings (wood shavings) in the coop.
1.) So, I would like to know if anyone recommends the wood shavings or not.

These guys are still young, but their droppings are really getting stronger in stench. I wash out their cage once a day. I have a small yard so I really need to keep the smell down for the neighbors. That is part of the reason why I'm looking into putting them on wood shavings for their bedding.

2.) Will wood shavings help keep the smell down?

Any advice on how to "keep it simple" while raising Muscovies would be appreciated.

Julie

Thank you! So there is no danger of them swallowing the wood chips?

Also, have you heard of wiring being bad for their feet and legs?

Julie

I would imagine that as their weight increased the wire would could get painful to their feet, as most muscovies... mainly males weigh a ton!

Shavings should work fine, and as long as they have food they shouldnt eat them.. they might eat one or two but they will soon learn that they are not food
smile.png

Best of Luck

-Austin from SC

Back
Top Bottom