Bedding for my babies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Aug 27, 2011.

1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    So, when I got my Cayugas, I went ahead and bought the bedding that they had the babies in, and I haven't had a problem with it with them. So, now I have these Ancona babies, and when I put them in the bedding they start eating it. I haven't left them in there long enough to see if they stop eating it because it kinda scares me.

The bedding is Livestock and Pet Bedding Wood Shavings.....what do you think??

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I use shavings with all of mine. With the number I hatch no way I could use towels or similar cloths the whole time they are in a brooder. Mine will nibble on them occasionally- but most often they spit them out. I normally have them on a towel for the first 2 or three days until they are well used to their food and water containers and then put them onto the shavings.

3. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    I actually used shaving for years but recently switched over to Rice Hulls.. I like it alot better.. but my ducklings also knibble on both and never have problems..

Ryan

4. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Thank you for your reply.....the towel thing is DRIVING ME NUTSO! I was thinking I would give them a few days, and I have had them since Wednesday, so maybe tomorrow I will just let them have at it!

I appreciate your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by