bedding help????

cheapcheap_jeepjeep

Songster
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Villa Grove
I am out of my pine bedding and can't get to town till tomorrow. Is is ok to put the chicks on wood pellets? I are made for horse stalls just I use them for my ferrets? I know they work great on smell and clean up easy too. I chicks were so nice to be flying (if you can call it that ) around and knock the water bottle over and soaked there pine .The chicks are about 5 weeks or so.
th.gif

Wood pellets are fine, but it may be a little hard for them to walk on. You can spray some water on the pellets which makes them softer, just dont go overboard with it to make the litter damp - a light misting will do.

I used to use shredded paper from work as my bedding, mixed with hay. It worked well, but I had to stop when we got a new shredder that also ground up the staples. As long as you have no staples in it, it's OK (although if there is colored print, chicks will be tempted to peck at it. A cross-cut shredder is better than a strip shredder - tiny chicks may get tangled in the longer strips.
Now I use wood shavings (same as in the horse barn) and hay. What do you mean by wood pellets? The same things you burn in a pellet stove?

I am very interested to hear if anyone else has experience using pine pellets as chicken coop bedding. Our Tractor Supply has been out of wood shavings for weeks, and it is time for spring cleaning in the coop. They do have the pine pellets available which they advertise as horse bedding. ( They can also be burned in pellet stoves...that's what they use in pellet stoves out west where there are no hardwoods).

Well the only thing see that may be wrong with the pellets that they soak but wetness,and well chickens don't one and two they go three. so you have to mist them and if they don't dry mabey mold. Or that they may be hard to walk on.

Back
Top Bottom