Bedding, not really a new thread, but...

Muse7

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 28, 2012
Norristown, PA
Hey All,

I could use some input from those of you using Pine Pellet Bedding. I picked up some Equine Fresh.
And sure enough, the house smelled much better the morning after I put them in. I used much less
straw and I could see where the moisture had broken the pellets down to dust.

Here's where I need some input. Some of the areas of saw dust were large enough to remove without
throwing out good pellets. SO, does everyone let the sawdust stand and mix it in with the good pellets
until it starts to be wet? Should I try to fish out the saw dust and take as few pellets as possible. Yesterday and today I went with the mix it in method, except where it was really wet and a big area, that I removed. Then I put in a bit of fresh straw.

Looking forward to your replies.

Best,

Liz

we dont keep water in over night so the pellets literally last for ever. stir the stalls daily fluffing and allowing to dry. Shovel out completely and replace once they appear spent.

Thanks, that is what I suspected was the best route, but good to hear from someone who has been using them.
I do put in water, but it's a hanging gallon bucket with two chicken drinking nipples and the bucket hangs over
a grated area that drops out of the coup.

Do mean that no water means less water in their poops, or from the actual water container?

Liz

We give no water to drink at night to those n stalls, houses or coops. Anyone in a raised growout pen have water (falls to the ground)

All stalls, houses and buildings are scraped clean the beginning of each quarter. Right down to bare floors, walls swept, windows cleaned, flops washed and left to dry. Then rebed everything again. Pellets enough to cover the floor, a light cover of large flake shavings for softness over the pellet. Fluff and toss pulling the dirtiest off the top daily. Add in new as need and repeat the above.

We follow this system for ducks, geese, chickens and goats alike. The goats require more clean out than the others because of waste produced in their stalls.

We give no water to drink at night to those n stalls, houses or coops. Anyone in a raised growout pen have water (falls to the ground)
All stalls, houses and buildings are scraped clean the beginning of each quarter. Right down to bare floors, walls swept, windows cleaned, flops washed and left to dry. Then rebed everything again. Pellets enough to cover the floor, a light cover of large flake shavings for softness over the pellet. Fluff and toss pulling the dirtiest off the top daily. Add in new as need and repeat the above.
We follow this system for ducks, geese, chickens and goats alike. The goats require more clean out than the others because of waste produced in their stalls.
goodpost.gif
Thanks this is really helpful guys, this is my first flock also

Ah, ok well for further detail. All goslings get water from hatch to 1 month of age in brooders (we don't brood in the house). Ducklings are grown out in raised pens so they keep water until old enough to free range. Then there is no water (or food for that matter) in the juvenile and adults housing. It's an evolution of how to keep things dry the best for us. Currently building an open air set of runs/shelters each is 4'wide by 16' deep. These will have water set up as auto water systems, not poultry nipples as they don't allow waterfowl to dip their heads which they need to do. So we will use auto water red bowels (ordered from Jeffers pets) for ducks and over the fence livestock style for the geese in those pens.

Back
Top Bottom