Bedding options!

This may not be helpful to you, but I'll share what I do and ideas that I have heard from other members here on BYC.

For shade in the run
  • I use hay bales. I stack them 2 bales high in a three-walled square then cover with a tarp or piece of plywood. Serves well to provide shade, shelter, and cover from aerial predators
  • I have read that pinning up tarps or building a wooden structure works well for shade
  • My chickens free range and use the several cars/vans in our backyard for shade and cover
For dust bathing my chickens tend to use:
  • A tire filled with dirt
  • Mulch
  • Under bushes
To answer your questions
1) My run used to be grass, now it is a mixture of dirt and rocks. I leave it as such, but add some fresh dirt and hay/straw into the run every spring.
2) Typically, people use shavings. They start with one layer after a cleanout and then add more layers 3-4" thick as needed. Usually when the old bedding gets pretty dirty.
3) See above section for shade in the run

I love all of these ideas! Thank you!!

Thanks! I didn’t realize deep litter was used for the run.
My coop is 4ft by 6ft and it’s raised off the ground and has flooring.

I’m hoping to let them free range but I’m really nervous about it. I would love for them to have access to fresh grass everyday.

Deep litter can be used in some coops but generally works better in a run since you want the litter to interact with everything from moisture to microbes to worms living in the soil.

Free ranging always carries some risk but yes it is nice to let the chickens get some free time. I only let mine out when I can supervise - it won't stop all predators from striking but it can help ward off some attacks.

I’m still grooving on sand in the coop and run. Lots of grit, endless scratching opportunities, and plenty of space to bathe. Plus it’s easy to keep clean and dry, especially if you add a couple of bags of PDZ Stall Refresh (zeolite). My coop and run are in the middle of the woods, so plenty of shade - and hawks and other four-legged hungry neighbors. I love the straw bales and tarp idea for open areas.

I’m still grooving on sand in the coop and run. Lots of grit, endless scratching opportunities, and plenty of space to bathe. Plus it’s easy to keep clean and dry, especially if you add a couple of bags of PDZ Stall Refresh (zeolite). My coop and run are in the middle of the woods, so plenty of shade - and hawks and other four-legged hungry neighbors. I love the straw bales and tarp idea for open areas.

Thanks! Does it matter what kind of sand?

Thanks! I didn’t realize deep litter was used for the run.
My coop is 4ft by 6ft and it’s raised off the ground and has flooring.

I’m hoping to let them free range but I’m really nervous about it. I would love for them to have access to fresh grass everyday.
Our chickens free range and we've found it very helpful to make certain that they have plenty of places to hide-bushes, under the deck, even under their coop. We only need to deal with aerial predators atm. The chickens love the fresh grass and insects and don't tolerate being in the run during the day. We do secure them in their coop at night. Good luck!

Thanks! Does it matter what kind of sand?
Yes! Don’t use the sandbox type sand, make sure it’s washed, natural river sand that is really coarse. And don’t use the bagged sand from the hardware store because that’s just crushed rock and really dusty. Check out what your local quarry has as it will be cheaper and they can deliver. We bought fifteen tons (one dump truck load) for an 8’x10’ coop and about the same size run. The sand will be three inches deep in the coop and about six to eight inches deep in the run. Any leftover sand will go towards breaking up our clay heavy soil. (We just built the house, so are working on the landscaping.)

Attachments

• 5E9B3860-180F-4D58-8E48-97FAD5EA74A0.jpeg
    5E9B3860-180F-4D58-8E48-97FAD5EA74A0.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom