bedding solutions

hello I have eight chickens of different breeds an im trying to find alternative bedding besides tractor supply shavings. any suggestions?

How old are your chickens?

I was assuming adults, I see another poster is assuming young chicks.
Some beddings are more suitable for one age than another.

For example, puppy pads or a layer of paper towels might work well for young chicks, but adult chickens will shred those up quite quickly.

we've had a couple get sick for no aparent reason thinking it might be the bedding

As a very temporary thing, you could try a layer of old towels, then throw them out after they get messy. Do check that there are no dangling strings that a chicken might swallow (any age chicken.)

How old are your chickens?

I was assuming adults, I see another poster is assuming young chicks.
Some beddings are more suitable for one age than another.

For example, puppy pads or a layer of paper towels might work well for young chicks, but adult chickens will shred those up quite quickly.

As a very temporary thing, you could try a layer of old towels, then throw them out after they get messy. Do check that there are no dangling strings that a chicken might swallow (any age chicken.)
they are 2 years old

they are 2 years old

Two years are fully adults. I would not try puppy pads with chickens of that age, because they are likely to rip them open and might have trouble if they eat some of the contents.

Are they currently laying eggs?

heat lamps and fresh feed dumor brand

Adult chickens usually do not need extra heat, in most climates. How cold does it get in your area?

Two years are fully adults. I would not try puppy pads with chickens of that age, because they are likely to rip them open and might have trouble if they eat some of the contents.

Are they currently laying eggs?

Adult chickens usually do not need extra heat, in most climates. How cold does it get in your area?
laying it this time of year it is usually around 50 in the day and 40 at night

Welcome to BYC.

If you put your general location into your profile we can give better-targeted advice. Climate matters. :)

Basically, any source of dry organic material has a chance of being useful. I have a strong preference for whichever one is available free at the place & time I need it.

Amen!

laying it this time of year it is usually around 50 in the day and 40 at night

Adult chickens absolutely DO NOT need heat lamps in those temperatures and could be adversely affected by getting too warm in an enclosed space.

Well-acclimated chickens readily tolerate temperatures down to 0F and below as long as they are dry and out of the wind in a well-ventilated but draft-free coop.

Since they're wearing built-in down parkas they are probably more comfortable at 50F than at 80F. :)

this time of year it is usually around 50 in the day and 40 at night

At that temperature, adult chickens do not need a heat lamp.

If you have been using a heat lamp, maybe they are acting sick because they are too hot. (Maybe not, but it is a possibility to consider.)

I would try no heat lamp for a bit, before trying very hard to change anything else.

Back
Top Bottom