Bedding?

FirstChickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 11, 2014
Chuckey, TN
I have read through some post and looked some other sites online.

I have an 110 Gallon black water bin, that I am going to use as brooder. Got a heat lamp and some starter/grower feed. Mason jar water dish.

As far as feed goes, do I need a feed dish or will a small lid or something along those lines work?

Also the bedding? What is a good way to start, have read no newspaper and read to use it. Read no shavings, but also read to use it.

I think I am more confused on this than I need to be, but would like BYC's advise before I head to town tomorrow for supplies. Chicks should ship on the 13th or 14th, so they will be here soon.

Regards

~FirstChickens~

I have read through some post and looked some other sites online.

I have an 110 Gallon black water bin, that I am going to use as brooder. Got a heat lamp and some starter/grower feed. Mason jar water dish.

As far as feed goes, do I need a feed dish or will a small lid or something along those lines work?

Also the bedding? What is a good way to start, have read no newspaper and read to use it. Read no shavings, but also read to use it.

I think I am more confused on this than I need to be, but would like BYC's advise before I head to town tomorrow for supplies. Chicks should ship on the 13th or 14th, so they will be here soon.

Regards

~FirstChickens~
A small lid works,depending on how many chicks you plan on having.Your bedding should be straw or hay.Chicks have been known to swallow wood shavings and choke.Be sure to have Probiotics in your water.It blocks any diseases off.Making them happy and healthy.If you have anymore questions i'm open

I got 16 coming. Ordered 14 Black Australorp hens 1 Roo of the same and they are suppose to send a bonus chick, not sure if same breed or surprise.

I will get a straw bale and the Probiotic for the water. This is all so new and exciting.

Still not sure where I'm going to put the brooder, any advise on that?

Thanks

~FirstChickens~

You might wanna get a boil for them,or maybe a normal feeding container.Also sit the water and food on on something.They will dirty their things up.I'd put the brooder in a room or a nice and tidy place.Maybe a garage/basement?

Thanks, I have a separate room that I can put them in.

How smelly do they get for the first week or so?

I want to do what another member said, "get a sheet and bring them in to socialize". I have kids, so any kind of socialization I can do is better, if they are anything like dogs in that respect.

Plus, I need to work with my dogs too! Now that should be interesting, they have never been around birds before.

I haven't had chicks for awhile so im gonna guess,very stinky.Feed them from your hands,but don't pick them up too much.Pet them lightly with your fingers.They will earn/gain your trust.Picking up should start after about 3 or 4 weeks.

And be sure no "runts are in there.I had some and they were picked on.The bigger ones would peck at their fragile legs.

Runt, I should be able to see the runt. Will they be that much smaller?

Is there a chance for the runt or is a new resting place it for them?

I start mine inside, in a large tote for the first week or so, using puppy training pads on the bottom. They don't smell near as badly that way, and it's nice footing for new chicks. It's easy to just roll up and toss the training pads. Yes, they will eat shavings, and newspapers are too slippery and can cause splayed legs. When I move them outside, it's to the stock tank in the garage so nothing can get them. That includes my dogs. Chicks look too much like squeaky toys at that age.

Mine are started in a spare bedroom, keep in mind that they are dusty little devils, so don't have them in with dry clean only items, lots of fabrics, etc. A laundry room, mud room, or bathroom works well.

If you put the food in a feeder, make sure it is covered on top so no one manages to get stuck inside.

We always put marbles in the water for the first week so that no one drowns or gets soaked.

Every now and then we get a runt, I just leave them be if they aren't getting picked on. Right now I have a Jersey Giant runt (that sounds silly) that is 1/2 or less the size of it's siblings. It gets along just fine.

Back
Top Bottom