Bedding

I use the pine flakes and the deep litter method and I am good for 6 months... In one week I get to hoe out the coop for winter and spray it with my wonderful home made coop cleaner..smells so good.. and fill it up with new flakes for the winter... and in the nesting boxes... :) My girls love when I change it out.... :)

I am unable to insert a link on these boards but keep the sand and do a search for making a heater out of pot plants and candles.Cheap and easy to make and all you should have to do is light a candle each evening. just an idea. There are several styles and designs to choose from too.

Keep the sand and build something like this perhaps. All you should have to do is light a candle each evening. Just an idea. I am actually looking at this for my coop and you gave me an idea to lay sand, that way it wont catch fire if it gets knocked over. I use hay currently, but in North Texas and my Rhode Island Reds dont get too cold.

http://cutepuppylove.me/2014/11/13/how-to-make-a-heater-with-just-candles-and-plant-pots/
I would never put a candle in a chicken coop. They are way too curious. Straw, pine, wood coop, nesting boxes...up in flames in minutes.

There are much safer ways with covered tin cans and light bulbs -- but this just to keep water from freezing. Chickens don't need heat in their coop as long as it is insulated, but ventilated. Even though you suggest keeping the sand, the candle would have to be quite large to last through the 10 hours of darkness and cold that we have in NY. I would also believe that only the sand in the immediate vincinty would be warmed by a candle. Just my humble opinion.

I currently use very fine pine shavings, the girls don't eat it (so I guess I'm lucky). I'm using a deep litter method for warmth through my northern NY winters. It snowed today....the girls were not impressed, they stood in the pop door taking turns looking out the door. :)

I use straw in our coop....gets messy but they love it and keeps them warm. I do use a heat lamp in the cool also

I live in zone 4, and I use grass hay. They love it, it keeps the coop smelling fresh, and no problems if they nibble it.

Back
Top Bottom