Bedtime is a nightmare

I can try. Would they need to be separate from each other as well or just separate from the flock?
You can keep them together. It will be easier once you add them back. You might want to just separate them with the look no touch method. So they can still see the flock, but not be totally isolated. It will make adding them back in easier.
I have read that some add hens to the roost in the evening after all the other chickens go to roost. I would only do it in a situation like yours though - not with totally new hens.

You can keep them together. It will be easier once you add them back. You might want to just separate them with the look no touch method. So they can still see the flock, but not be totally isolated. It will make adding them back in easier.
I have read that some add hens to the roost in the evening after all the other chickens go to roost. I would only do it in a situation like yours though - not with totally new hens.
I’m a meanie!! I say separate them. Really mess with their attitudes and psyche. Bring them down a notch. You want to break them down not team them up. Really it’s not mean. But I’ve seen what two hens working together can do. Come on Mom. Put those kids in time out! :thumbsup

My birds free-feed during the day from a feeder, but I've been tempted to get a second feeder to hide out back somewhere, so if the top hens are at one feeder the others can go to the second feeder and will be out of sight.

My RLRs are the worst! I have two EE hens that jump in and go to perch right away. They just peck each other on the roost a lot.

I don't really have a reason to want them to go in at a certain time. I guess I'd just rather not make a second trip (one to put the ducks in, and another to shut in the chickens an hour later). I'm lazy.
Sounds like less work than you're going through now. :lau
Don't ducks go in on their own, too? I'd just wait till everyone put themselves to bed and lock them up in one trip.

I agree on separating them. Try it first with them together. If it works too well and they’re really poked out of the order, then it’s better to have two hens integrating.

You may need to continue for longer with one or both. If you do a few days where they can see each other and let them out and nothing changes, remove them where they can’t be seen for a few days. If they’re that much of a bully, it won’t be hard on them to come back at the bottom anyway.

I had bullies that I put in a dog crate for five days, one was fine after, the other had to be separated for two weeks out of sight.

Do you have a way into the coop I assume other than their access door? Can you get a dog crate in the coop, it sounds big enough...

Next time your offenders are lingering in the door way- hit them with waterhose for a second. I had some bullies who wouldn’t let a couple lower ranking girls into coup at night. A well aimed shot of water with spray nozzle did the trick! After three days- no more blocking the door!

Back
Top Bottom