Beekeeper adding chickens

honeybeechick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 18, 2014
Brand new to chickens. I need lots of guidance. I have honeybees but want chickens now and I have an enthusiastic son ready to help me build a coop but I have zero carpentry skills. Excited to learn here with you.

LL

welcome-byc.gif
check out the coops section on BYC and also the Learning Center, some great information at both places. Check out your area Craig's list. A lot of people seem to start out that way - they pick up a used coop and often the seller includes chickens - so instant flock.

Thanks much! Great Idea. You don't have disease or stuff to worry about with used goods from Craigs list?

Thanks much! Great Idea. You don't have disease or stuff to worry about with used goods from Craigs list?

images

When ever you buy equipment from anyone, it is best to fumigate and disinfect it. There is always crud and cooties on things that your birds may not be used to. But craigslist is a great place to start!

Good luck with your adventures! Oh, did you have any trouble with this winter, the cold and losing any bees?? I have a friend in Ohio, first year bee keeper, that lost all his bees to the cold. :-( He is going to start over this spring.

Enjoy BYC!

Okay that is great information. I know that is the case with beekeeping woodenware. We don't usually exchange much in our beekeeper world for fear of disease. I run 20 hives at my workplace and 20 personal hives and I believe I have only lost one this winter. My personal best winter. I did treat for mites though in the fall and so I felt I had strong populations of bees going into the winter. Best of luck to your friend. Ohio State Univ has some great beekeeping resources online for him. I can't wait to get some chicks. Any breed suggestions? Guess I need to read up on that.

Check out this link. This gives an over all look at the different breeds...

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

I keep Black Australorps. They are super friendly and follow me around like drooling puppies. They love to lap sit and they are great layers! Love them to pieces! You can also check out our breeds section here on BYC to see what people are saying about the different breeds...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Thanks for the info about where to get information on the bees in Ohio! I will forward it to him.
smile.png

Good luck with your new chicken adventures!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. For colder winters, I recommend Wyandottes or Easter Eggers. Wyandottes come in pretty colors, are good layers, and in my experience, have an unmatched personality. Easter Eggers lay nice green or blue eggs, and withstand cold well.

Back
Top Bottom