BeeKeepers?

We tried it a few years ago. My two grown children and myself went to a bee keeping seminar at the U of M. First off it is really technical! There are a lot of diseases etc to be dealt with. It takes a lot of study, huge learning curve. Then there is a lot of equipement, LOTS. Then there is location. Most if not all larger cities do not allow bee hives. Then there is hive wasting disease that kills off a colony over 2 or 3 years with no known cure hence the catastrophic decline of the world's bee population. Then when I stopped to think about it I wasn't sure I wanted to eat honey that has been treated with so many chemicals and antibiotics etc.

If this sounds like fun to you then your a better person than me!

I did it growing up until I graduated from College. My Dad then took it over for awhile. We froze out a couple winters ago. My daughter had a special research project this year for one of her advanced classes (shes 9). She chose beekeeping. I am excited to get her back into it.

We have had several hives for a number of years. I suit up in my net suit to tend or rob and use a smoker to calm them. You can improvise with some of the tools...as long as you know what it's used for.

We have lost a few hives to swarm, failure to thrive and loss of queen. We harvest honey before we treat with strips for vareo mites in the winter and don't harvest honey in the spring. We remove the strips at then end of February. Ususally we will set out supplemental syrup in the winter for the bees.

Check with your county extension office...most times you will find a local beekeepers group that is willing to share knowledge.

I'm in my first year with two hives. Best advice is to read everything you can on bees. I also took a course through my local community college. Then there are the local bee clubs. Most of them gladly share info with 'newbees' and some offer a mentoring program. All the information can seem overwhelming but keep in mind bees were making honey long before humans got involved. They know what they are doing. We are just there to help on occasion and to help them find a place for all the extra honey.

If you are still interested, google brushy mountian bee farm in NC who host webinars and has lots of supplies. Also, wilkes county community college NC close to I 77 S, has an annual information fair in July for several days. It is a little drive from your area, not sure what VA offers. I have had good luck over the past 6 yrs with my italian strain. I know there is a lot of challenges now keeping hives healthy, but mine have been on auto pilot for the past 3 yrs with no problems.

I'm researching it right now and am going to try a lower buget method that looks good for a family hive. You can build what is called a "top bar" hive from most any materials around.

Marty Hardison has a nice book out about how to do it. I have spoken with him and I believe he has a good method.

Unless you are selling the honey, you can do it any way you want. In Ohio each county has a bee inspector who can be a good resource.

I think I found this on a "Living off grid" website...sorry I don't have time to link you up right now. If I am right there is a funny story on there about a guy getting his first swarm.

A smoker and bees would be the only things you can't really improvise on. Personally with this method there may be little reason to even use a smoker.

We've been living with honey bees for years who have made their hive in the entire north wall of our home. Their behavior can be predictable enough to work with them safely. We can't oust them until we can tear down and rebuild the whole side of the 2 story house.

I'm not speaking from experience here, so do your own research.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom