Beer? Vodka? Molasses? Water additives to keep water from freezing.

balticbabe

Songster
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
King County, WA
Any ideas on what I can add to the water to keep it from freezing? I've been switching out waterers but I need to leave town for a couple of days. It rarely freezes here so the feed stores don't carry products to keep the water in a drinkable state. I know chickens don't like salt water but what about adding sugar. I know they like beer but I don't think that's a good idea. Any suggestions?

Yes, a bottle of nice wine for your NEIGHBORS so they will be peachy and come change your waterer for you.

Honestly, get someone to come over and change the water and check your birds for you. One mistake with the water freezing up for a few days and they could die.

There really isn't any additive you can use to keep water liquid much more below 32. Maybe liquid down to 30F before it is poisonous to drink as the only liquid source. I'd get a heated water dish or get some neighbors to do it foryou.

Your better of just buying a heater. dont want to poison your chickens.
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
I like the homemade heater and the coffee warmer idea. I risked it and left them since the forecast was a low of 32F and the indoor waterer seems to stay liquid until it drops below 25F. The power was out when I got home for who knows how long so a heater wouldn't of helped anyway. The girls seem fine, didn't even miss me. I wonder where wild birds get drinking water when everything is frozen.

With deep litter on dirt floor, the heat of poo decomposition keeps the water liquid on the bottom half of the dish on the floor.
lol.png

Doesn't help them any though if there is an inch of ice on top. Just hot water in the morning and they are good to go.

Back
Top Bottom